Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
n_a_mtl n_a_mtl is offline

Default Chapter Heading in Header

Hello,
I am working on a longer document, and I wanted to automatically add the
heading of each chapter, to the header of the pages that are part of the
chapter.

Ex.:

Chapter:
The Civil War
Â*¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
And then the pages will look like this
|Â*Â*¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â ¯|
| The History of the USA The Civil War | Header
|

| TEXT
| Text
|

| - 84 -
| Footer
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I would really appreciate it if anyone knows how to do this in MS Word 2003
or MS Word for OS X.

Thank You Guys!

Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You need to use the StyleRef field. For more on this, see Word's Help and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

"n_a_mtl" wrote in message
Hello,
I am working on a longer document, and I wanted to automatically add the
heading of each chapter, to the header of the pages that are part of the
chapter.

Ex.:

Chapter:
The Civil War
Â*¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
And then the pages will look like this
|Â*Â*¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â ¯|
| The History of the USA The Civil War |

Header

| TEXT
| Text
|

| - 84 -
| Footer
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I would really appreciate it if anyone knows how to do this in MS Word

2003
or MS Word for OS X.

Thank You Guys!

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
n_a_mtl n_a_mtl is offline

Thank You Very much Suzanne! This is a really great link!

Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Surf her pages, lots of great stuff.

Side notes for future reference--since you mention Word for the Mac,
there are Mac-specific newsgroups:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

and also a MacWord resource site to bookmark:
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/

StyleRef will behave exactly the same way in MacWord, of course.

n_a_mtl wrote:
Thank You Very much Suzanne! This is a really great link!

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Glad I could help.

"n_a_mtl" wrote in message
Thank You Very much Suzanne! This is a really great link!

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bivragh Bivragh is offline

Hi,

I insert different headings for odd and even pages in my header. For even it
is linked to heading 1, for odd linked to heading 2. At the start of a
chapter, the second page should show heading of the current chapter, however
as heading 2 is not used so far it shows in the header previous heading. I
have removed link to previous heading but still the same problem. Any solution

Also i only get the heading text not the numbering, how do i get the
numbering without much formating for the style of current numbering used in
headings.

Thanks for your help

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Glad I could help.

"n_a_mtl" wrote in message
Thank You Very much Suzanne! This is a really great link!

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To get the paragraph numbering you'll need to use two StyleRef fields per
heading, one for the text and one for the numbering (using the \n, \r, or \w
switch). As for anticipating Heading 2, you could accomplish this by
inserting it prematurely, formatted as white and 1 point, but this would
cause problems if it's numbered, since the numbering of the real heading
would then be incorrect. If all the chapters start on an odd page (a common
layout), you could use "Different first page" and leave the header on the
first page of the chapter blank (as is conventionally done); then you'd have
a better chance of having picked up a Heading 2 by the time you got to the
third page of the chapter (second odd page).

"Bivragh" wrote in message
Hi,

I insert different headings for odd and even pages in my header. For even

it
is linked to heading 1, for odd linked to heading 2. At the start of a
chapter, the second page should show heading of the current chapter,

however
as heading 2 is not used so far it shows in the header previous heading. I
have removed link to previous heading but still the same problem. Any

solution

Also i only get the heading text not the numbering, how do i get the
numbering without much formating for the style of current numbering used

in
headings.

Thanks for your help

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote: