Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JanH JanH is offline

Default Font change on changing alignment of linked Excel object

We create tables in Excel. We then bring them into Word as linked objects
(Paste Special: Paste Link). These are left-aligned initially. When we centre
the linked object (Format object: Layout: Square and Centre) the font used in
the object changes so that characters are irregularly spaced and a different
size. The size of the whole object is changed - longer and narrower.

How can we avoid this happening? The original font and size are perfect,
just mis-aligned on the page for our purpose.

We use Word 2003 and Excel 2003. We can't choose the Centre option with the
default layout of 'In line with text'. Using layout 'Top and bottom' has the
same effect as using 'Square'.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Try changing the wrapping style of the Excel object to "In line with text"
(via Format Object Layout tab). Then center align the _paragraph_
(Ctrl+E) in which the object is found.

Note that you can set "In line with text" as the default wrapping style. To
do this, select Tools Options Edit tab. From the "Insert/paste pictures
as" list, select "In line with text". Click OK.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"JanH" wrote:

We create tables in Excel. We then bring them into Word as linked objects
(Paste Special: Paste Link). These are left-aligned initially. When we centre
the linked object (Format object: Layout: Square and Centre) the font used in
the object changes so that characters are irregularly spaced and a different
size. The size of the whole object is changed - longer and narrower.

How can we avoid this happening? The original font and size are perfect,
just mis-aligned on the page for our purpose.

We use Word 2003 and Excel 2003. We can't choose the Centre option with the
default layout of 'In line with text'. Using layout 'Top and bottom' has the
same effect as using 'Square'.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JanH JanH is offline

Thanks Lene.

In addition we have some over-wide tables to import (link). By 'over-wide' I
mean that they can't fit within the left and right page margins. For these
the Format:Paragraph:Centre approach doesn't work - the cursor can't fit on
the same line as the table and centring with the cursor on the next line (no
line feed entered) just seems to centre the line the cursor is on. For these
wide tables we just use a negative value in the Indentation Left option to
give a 'centred' effect.

Really, the font change shouldn't happen when we change to alignment 'Top
and bottom' but I suppose we just have to live with it.

Best wishes
Jan