Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CarolynRM CarolynRM is offline

Default Format Footer page numbers

I have a document for which I need the first page to be blank, the TOC page
to have "i" as the page number in the footer, and the rest of the document to
have regular numeral page numbers in the footer. I have managed to get the
title page with no header or footer and the rest of the document with
numerals, but the TOC page insists that it is number "ii", not "i".

I have tried every type and combination of section and page breaks. I have
tried insert/page numbers/format/start from... but there is no number before
"i" to start from.

After four hours of working on this I have run out of ideas. Please help.

Thanks,
Carolyn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rontMatter.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:02:08 -0700, CarolynRM
wrote:

I have a document for which I need the first page to be blank, the TOC page
to have "i" as the page number in the footer, and the rest of the document to
have regular numeral page numbers in the footer. I have managed to get the
title page with no header or footer and the rest of the document with
numerals, but the TOC page insists that it is number "ii", not "i".

I have tried every type and combination of section and page breaks. I have
tried insert/page numbers/format/start from... but there is no number before
"i" to start from.

After four hours of working on this I have run out of ideas. Please help.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CarolynRM CarolynRM is offline

Okay, I followed the directions, but the TOC still thinks that it is page ii.
I can hide the header and footer on the title page, but apparently the
document still thinks the title page is page i.

wrote:

I have a document for which I need the first page to be blank, the TOC page
to have "i" as the page number in the footer, and the rest of the document to
have regular numeral page numbers in the footer. I have managed to get the
title page with no header or footer and the rest of the document with
numerals, but the TOC page insists that it is number "ii", not "i".

I have tried every type and combination of section and page breaks. I have
tried insert/page numbers/format/start from... but there is no number before
"i" to start from.

After four hours of working on this I have run out of ideas. Please help.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CarolynRM CarolynRM is offline

Now, even though I have "different first page" clicked, every time I take the
header and footer off the title page, they disappear from the entire
document. I have all the section breaks in place, as specified in the
document you referenced. Why is it doing that?

wrote:

I have a document for which I need the first page to be blank, the TOC page
to have "i" as the page number in the footer, and the rest of the document to
have regular numeral page numbers in the footer. I have managed to get the
title page with no header or footer and the rest of the document with
numerals, but the TOC page insists that it is number "ii", not "i".

I have tried every type and combination of section and page breaks. I have
tried insert/page numbers/format/start from... but there is no number before
"i" to start from.

After four hours of working on this I have run out of ideas. Please help.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Strictly speaking, the title page *is* page i, and if it's a recto page, you
may have difficulty making it anything else. If you were not using roman
numerals, you could tell Word to start the numbering with 0, but that
doesn't work for roman numerals, so you'll have to insert a section break
between the title page and the TOC and start numbering at i with the TOC. I
urge you to rethink this, though.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Your First Page Header/Footer and Header/Footer are separate, but if you
have any section breaks in the document, the corresponding headers and
footers in the various sections will be linked, and anything you do in one
will affect the others. To make them different, you must unlink them by
clicking the Same as Previous or Link to Previous button on the Header and
Footer toolbar (to turn it off). See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm for more.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CarolynRM CarolynRM is offline

My bosses want the TOC page to be i. I have a section break between the
title page and the TOC and it is not having any effect on the TOC thinking it
is page ii. What is a "recto page"?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CarolynRM CarolynRM is offline

In following your article about hwo to set up a document with front matter
numbered seperately I noticed that when I put in the section break, it said
"section 4", rather than "Section 2", as the article says it should. Is that
because I have some other section breaks hidden somewhere in my front pages?
I tried to remove them all, but could there be some hiding from me? Is there
a way to take a document and just clear out all the formatting and all the
page and section breaks? I want to make sure I find them all.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If your second page is Section 4, then you have three section breaks on the
first page. Unless you are changing the number of columns somewhere on the
page, this is excessive. Switch to Normal view, which will allow you to see
and delete the excess section breaks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Strictly speaking, the title page *is* page i, and if it's a recto page,

you
may have difficulty making it anything else. If you were not using roman
numerals, you could tell Word to start the numbering with 0, but that
doesn't work for roman numerals, so you'll have to insert a section

break
between the title page and the TOC and start numbering at i with the

TOC. I
urge you to rethink this, though.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.