Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CJ CJ is offline

Default Table of Contents Style

In Word 2003, I have a document where the TOC 2 style has a left tab
set at 1.5 that I would like to remove. If I try to modify the style
in the Styles and Formatting pane, the tab is not even listed as being
there. I can remove the tab with my cursor in one of the paragraphs
and it corrects all of that style, but when I update the table, the
tab stop returns. Is there a secret to modifying the TOC styles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm. Note that by
default Word places a tab stop where you have your hanging indent, but you
can override this with a setting on the Compatibility tab of Tools |
Options.

"CJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
In Word 2003, I have a document where the TOC 2 style has a left tab
set at 1.5 that I would like to remove. If I try to modify the style
in the Styles and Formatting pane, the tab is not even listed as being
there. I can remove the tab with my cursor in one of the paragraphs
and it corrects all of that style, but when I update the table, the
tab stop returns. Is there a secret to modifying the TOC styles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But note that this setting applies to all heading indents, not just to TOCs,
meaning that you must manually add a tab stop for paragraphs (styles) with
hanging indents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm. Note that by
default Word places a tab stop where you have your hanging indent, but you
can override this with a setting on the Compatibility tab of Tools |
Options.

ups.com...