Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jerrywhelan jerrywhelan is offline

Default Mail Merge from inside word document using excel data file

We are using XP, and Office XP and unable to do a mail merge from inside
Word. The data file is an Excel spreadsheet. When going to Tools/Letters &
Mailings/Mail Merge/Use existing list
A box pops up which says "Data Link Properties" with tabs for "Provider,
Connection, Advanced, & All".
If I do test connnection, it fails with the error "Test connection failed
because of an error in initializing provider. Catastrophic Failure"
If we do not run the test and try to continue to the mail merge, Word
crashes and restarts. Either way we do not get a mail merge.

I'm thinking it has to do with the provider settings. I have tried to change
this and I have managed to get a connection but when make any further
attempts to continue - I only get an error message or the merge screen leaves.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I'm thinking it has to do with the provider settings. I have tried to
change
this

That's interesting - Word should select "Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider"
automatically - if you chose something different, what was it?

Has this merge application worked before in Office XP (or in a previous
version of Office) ?

Has the Excel file been password-protected?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"jerrywhelan" wrote in message
We are using XP, and Office XP and unable to do a mail merge from inside
Word. The data file is an Excel spreadsheet. When going to Tools/Letters &
Mailings/Mail Merge/Use existing list
A box pops up which says "Data Link Properties" with tabs for "Provider,
Connection, Advanced, & All".
If I do test connnection, it fails with the error "Test connection failed
because of an error in initializing provider. Catastrophic Failure"
If we do not run the test and try to continue to the mail merge, Word
crashes and restarts. Either way we do not get a mail merge.

I'm thinking it has to do with the provider settings. I have tried to
change
this and I have managed to get a connection but when make any further
attempts to continue - I only get an error message or the merge screen
leaves.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jerrywhelan jerrywhelan is offline

We have never done a mailmerge on this computer, but have 2 other computers
with Office XP which do work.
The Excel is Not password protected.
When the Data Link Properties box pops up what do we fill in for the blanks?
1. Select or enter a database name
2. Enter information to log in and the default answer is Admin
with a blank password.

What should be filled in under the connection tab?
What should be filled in under the advanced tab?
Also the all tab, what values should all those items have?
Is there some process we need to be looking to see if it is running?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Does the /same/ workbook work on the other two PCs?

When the Data Link Properties box pops up what do we fill in for the
blanks?

If it pops up when the data source is an Excel workbook, you almost
certainly have a workbook that OLE DB cannot read - in that case, it is
unlikely that anything you put in this box will let you open the file. But
iIf the workbook is open in Excel, try closing it).

But...

What should be filled in under the connection tab?

Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider

as I said.

What should be filled in under the advanced tab?

check "Read"

Also the all tab, what values should all those items have?

Data Source: the full pathname of the workbook
Extended properties: HDR=YES;IMEX=1;
Compact...: False
Create System Database: False
Database locking mode: 1
Database |Password: leave blank
Don't copy...: False
Encrypt...: False
Engine Type: 35
Global Bulk...: 1
Global Partial...:2
New Database...: leave blank
Registry Path: leave blank
SFP: False
System database: leave blank
Locale..: 1033 (or whatever your locale ID is)
Mode: (set in the Advanced tab)
Password: leave blank
Persist Security info: leave alone
User ID: leave alone

Is there some process we need to be looking to see if it is running?

Not sure what you mean here. OLE DB does not start Excel - it uses the Jet
OLE DB provider and Jet's Excel IISAM to get the data. So don't expect Excel
to be running. Further, OLE DB will typiclaly either succeed or fail very
quickly.

All that said, if OLE DB cannot connect, you best bet, as long as the
worksheet is the first in the workbook, is to try connecting using DDE. To
do that, check Word Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversions at open, go
through the connection process again, and select the DDE option when
offered.

--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jerrywhelan jerrywhelan is offline

Peter,
Yes, the same file shared or copied to other computers works. Thanks for
your time and efforts.