Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cookie Cookie is offline

Default mailmerge

I am mail merging a 2 page letter. the first and second pages both contain
exactly the same merge fields. ie first name, last name etc and refer to the
same people in an Access database. When I attempt to merge the data to the
letter the data transfers to the first page of the letter but not to the
second page. I am using the following method: first name last nameNext
record
first name last nameNext record

I have tried formulating the two pages of the letter as separate documents
and copying one document to the other but still get the same result.

I would be grateful for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Cookie -

The only time you would use the Next Record command is when you want the
next record in the database. In your example I would have

First Name Last Name
Blah blah blah
Start of Second Page
First Name Last NameNext Record

Word will stick in a Next Page Section Break when you actually perform
the merge.

Give that a go, and let us know.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"cookie" wrote in message
:

I am mail merging a 2 page letter. the first and second pages both contain
exactly the same merge fields. ie first name, last name etc and refer to the
same people in an Access database. When I attempt to merge the data to the
letter the data transfers to the first page of the letter but not to the
second page. I am using the following method: first name last nameNext
record
first name last nameNext record

I have tried formulating the two pages of the letter as separate documents
and copying one document to the other but still get the same result.

I would be grateful for any help

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/24/2007 11:27 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

cookie,
Try removing the "Next Record" field from your document/template. If the
information on page two, is identical to page one, you don't need that
field.

--
Have A Good Day
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"cookie" wrote in message
I am mail merging a 2 page letter. the first and second pages both contain
exactly the same merge fields. ie first name, last name etc and refer to the
same people in an Access database. When I attempt to merge the data to the
letter the data transfers to the first page of the letter but not to the
second page. I am using the following method: first name last nameNext
record
first name last nameNext record

I have tried formulating the two pages of the letter as separate documents
and copying one document to the other but still get the same result.

I would be grateful for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cookie Cookie is offline

...thanks Dawn but I do want to take the data from the next record. ie I would
end up with the names taken from say the first eight records which I want to
reproduce on the second page

"cookie" wrote in message
:

I am mail merging a 2 page letter. the first and second pages both contain
exactly the same merge fields. ie first name, last name etc and refer to the
same people in an Access database. When I attempt to merge the data to the
letter the data transfers to the first page of the letter but not to the
second page. I am using the following method: first name last nameNext
record
first name last nameNext record

I have tried formulating the two pages of the letter as separate documents
and copying one document to the other but still get the same result.

I would be grateful for any help

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/24/2007 11:27 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cookie Cookie is offline

...thanks Rich. I don't think I have explained the problem very well so I'll
try again.
For an example: The first page of the letter will contain details from the
first 8 records in the database, hence the use of 'next record' after each
mergfield. The second page requires exactly the same data to be taken from
the same first 8 records in the database. The difference between the two
pages is purely in the added text. I have tried omitting the last 'next
record' on the first page to see if the merging proces will recognise the
request for data from the database as a new request for the second page but I
still get the same result.

"cookie" wrote in message
I am mail merging a 2 page letter. the first and second pages both contain
exactly the same merge fields. ie first name, last name etc and refer to the
same people in an Access database. When I attempt to merge the data to the
letter the data transfers to the first page of the letter but not to the
second page. I am using the following method: first name last nameNext
record
first name last nameNext record

I have tried formulating the two pages of the letter as separate documents
and copying one document to the other but still get the same result.

I would be grateful for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Sorry Cookie -

Word and mail merge doesn't allow you to backup to previous records.
Merging is a forward only process, so once you have all the information
about record 1 - John Smith, and have moved to record 2 - Jane Doe, then
you won't be able to back up and get John's address out of the database.

--

"cookie" wrote in message
:

..thanks Rich. I don't think I have explained the problem very well so I'll
try again.
For an example: The first page of the letter will contain details from the
first 8 records in the database, hence the use of 'next record' after each
mergfield. The second page requires exactly the same data to be taken from
the same first 8 records in the database. The difference between the two
pages is purely in the added text. I have tried omitting the last 'next
record' on the first page to see if the merging proces will recognise the
request for data from the database as a new request for the second page but I
still get the same result.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/24/2007 11:27 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There are a few things you can consider as long as the number of records you
need per page is fixed, e.g.:

If your data source makes it reasonably easy to duplicate your data rows in
the pattern you need (i.e. so you have the first 8 rows, then repeat them,
then the next 8 rows, then repeat them) your best bet is definitely to
produce a modified version of your data source.

Otherwise, you can try the following. Imagine that you only needed to re-use
3 rows, and that you needed to reuse "fielda" and "fieldb". Then try the
following field code:

{ SET r1fa { MERGEFIELD fielda }
}{ SET r1fb { MERGEFIELD fieldb }
}{ NEXT
}{ SET r2fa { MERGEFIELD fielda }
}{ SET r2fb { MERGEFIELD fieldb }
}{ NEXT
} then use { REF r1fa } (or just { r1fa } to insert the value of fielda from
record 1, { REF r2fb } to isnert the value of fieldb from record 2, and {
MERGEFIELD fielda } to insert the value of fielda from record 3
then insert a page break
and use { REF r1fa }, { REF r2fb } and { MERGEFIELD } fields on the next
page.

You may find some things do not work, such as ADDRESSBLOCK fields (which are
usually best avoided anyway). But try it, and it may be enough for your
requirement.

-
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

mailmerge cheerie astl Mailmerge 1 May 18th 06 04:39 AM
SQl mailmerge. Jørgen Bondesen Mailmerge 0 November 12th 05 11:23 AM
Mailmerge help please Frank Mailmerge 1 October 13th 05 02:18 PM
mailmerge doc Randy Mailmerge 4 March 9th 05 10:21 PM
mailmerge Felicity Mailmerge 1 December 17th 04 07:37 AM