Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott Scott is offline

Default Find and replace with soft return

I want to find and replace hard returns with soft returns. Is that possible
and how?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Find and replace with soft return

Finding and Replacing Hard Returns with Soft Returns in Microsoft Word
  1. Open your Word document and press Ctrl + H on your keyboard to open the Find and Replace dialog box.
  2. In the Find what field, type ^p (this represents a hard return).
  3. In the Replace with field, type ^l (this represents a soft return).
  4. Click on the More button to expand the dialog box.
  5. Make sure that the Use wildcards option is selected.
  6. Click on the Replace All button to replace all hard returns with soft returns in your document.

That's it! Now all the hard returns in your document should be replaced with soft returns. Keep in mind that this will replace all hard returns in your document, so make sure you want to do this before clicking on the Replace All button.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Scott -

Press CTRL+F to open the Find and Replace dialog box.
In the Find What box, type in ^p - or you can click on the More button
and then click the Special button and locate Paragraph Mark.
Click the Replace tab
In the Replace With box and type in ^l (that's a small L) - or you can
click the Special button and locate Manual Line Break

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"scott" wrote in message
:

I want to find and replace hard returns with soft returns. Is that possible
and how?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/26/2007 12:12 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Are you saying you want to remove hard returns (created by pressing Enter)
with a natural line wrap? I don't think you want to replace the hard returns
with manual line breaks or you would end up with almost the same format.

If that's the case, first determine what you actually have at the end of
each line. Click the Show/Hide command (¶) to turn on the formatting marks
or press Ctrl+Shift+8. A paragraph mark is represented by ¶ and a manual
line break looks like a hooked left-point arrow. Then follow these then use
these steps:
- Press F5 to open the Find and Replace dialog box
- On the Replace tab, in the Find what text box, type either ^p (for the
paragraph mark) or ^l (lowercase L for manual line breaks)
- In the Replace with text box press your Spacebar
- Click Replace All

Then two replace any occurrences of multiple spaces, in the Find What text
box press your spacebar twice and Replace With should still have the single
space. Click Replace All. Note you may need to use Replace All a couple
times to replace all multiple spaces

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"scott" wrote in message
I want to find and replace hard returns with soft returns. Is that
possible
and how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott Scott is offline

Thanks. That did it. For some reason when I selected the Manual Line Break
it did not put the caret in (it just put in the l, so when I replaced, it
just put in the l, which wasn't what I needed) and I was not clever enough to
realize that I should just put it in myself.

: