Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sean Steele Sean Steele is offline

Default FULLNAME merge field: how do I get it to just show the first name, i.e. everything before the space and nothing after the space.

I have a mail merge template that only allows me to insert the
FULLNAME, but I want to be able to just pull the first name from that
field. Is there a way to tell Word to delete everything after the
space? So, the value that would normally be pulled into this field
would be "John Doe." I just want it to pull "John." Let me know if
there is anything I can do.

Thanks,
Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Sean,

Word's mailmerge can't manipulate the data that way - you'll need to change the data source.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Sean Steele" wrote in message ups.com...
I have a mail merge template that only allows me to insert the
FULLNAME, but I want to be able to just pull the first name from that
field. Is there a way to tell Word to delete everything after the
space? So, the value that would normally be pulled into this field
would be "John Doe." I just want it to pull "John." Let me know if
there is anything I can do.

Thanks,
Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

"+Bob+" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 09:17:36 +1000, "macropod"
wrote:

Or, more directly - this is what happens when people who don't know
squat about designing data storage start storing data. No offense, but
there's a reason people get degrees in subjects like this.

Or maybe the OP just has a list of names, that was never intended to be used for mailmerges, and is trying to re-purpose it.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]