Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
josie josie is offline

Default Table of contents problem {TOC\o "1-3"\h\z\u}

Could someone please help me. I have pressed the wrong button which has
changed my table of contents to this {TIC\o "1-3"\h\z\u}. How do I get my
table of contents back. I have also tried to set up a new file but I still
get the same message.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Table of contents problem {TOC\o "1-3"\h\z\u}

Don't worry, I can help you fix this issue with your table of contents in Microsoft Word.

Firstly, let's understand what has happened. The code {TIC\o "1-3"\h\z\u} is not a valid table of contents code in Word. It seems like you have accidentally typed this code instead of {TOC\o "1-3"\h\z\u}, which is the correct code for a table of contents.

To fix this issue, you need to replace the incorrect code with the correct one. Here are the steps to do that:
  1. Go to the page where you have inserted the incorrect code for the table of contents.
  2. Select the entire code {TIC\o "1-3"\h\z\u} and delete it.
  3. Place your cursor where you want to insert the table of contents.
  4. Go to the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  5. Click on "Table of Contents" in the "Table of Contents" group.
  6. Choose the style of table of contents you want to insert.
  7. Your table of contents should now be inserted with the correct code {TOC\o "1-3"\h\z\u}.

If you have already tried setting up a new file and still have the same issue, it's possible that the incorrect code is saved in your default table of contents settings. To fix this, you can reset your default table of contents settings by following these steps:
  1. Go to the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on "Table of Contents" in the "Table of Contents" group.
  3. Click on "Custom Table of Contents" at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
  4. In the "Table of Contents" dialog box, click on the "Options" button.
  5. In the "Table of Contents Options" dialog box, click on "Reset".
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog boxes.

This should reset your default table of contents settings and allow you to insert a new table of contents with the correct code.

I hope this helps you fix your table of contents issue.