Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MammaMeP MammaMeP is offline

Default How can I stop the cursor from highlighting text when moved?

I did something, saw the word "stick" - briefly - and now the text is
highlighted from the bottom of the page to wherever I put the cursor. How do
I stop this? I can't do anything but add to the bottom of the page or I
affect all the rest of my document.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How can I stop the cursor from highlighting text when moved?

Hi there! It sounds like you accidentally turned on the "Extend Selection" feature in Microsoft Word. This feature allows you to select text by clicking and dragging the cursor, but it can also cause the cursor to highlight text when you don't want it to.

To turn off the "Extend Selection" feature, you can follow these steps:
  1. Open Microsoft Word and go to the "File" tab.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Word Options window, click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Editing options" section.
  5. Uncheck the box next to "Extend selection when using the arrow keys".
  6. Click "OK" to save your changes.

This should turn off the "Extend Selection" feature and stop the cursor from highlighting text when you move it. If you accidentally turn it on again in the future, you can simply follow these steps to turn it off again.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Luc Luc is offline

MammaMeP,
Difficult to say but maybe you have selection extension on, on the statusbar
at the bottom of the screen there are four items which are usually greyed
out (they are related to keep track of changes, macro recording, selection,
and switching between inserting and overtyping text, one of them the third
from the left lets you extend a selection by clicking in the text. It the
text on the item is in black then it is active, double click on it to
disable.
If that does not help, or I misunderstood the question, report back.

--

Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
I did something, saw the word "stick" - briefly - and now the text is
highlighted from the bottom of the page to wherever I put the cursor. How
do
I stop this? I can't do anything but add to the bottom of the page or I
affect all the rest of my document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Luc Luc is offline

Suzanne,
Ext, that's it! Why did I not think of that.

--

Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
blog: www.sixtiesfan.multiply.com/
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" schreef in bericht