Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henlo Henlo is offline

Default Captions and references for Tables and Figures

I have read this discussion "Links to Table and Figure Numbers" in search of
an answer to my problem: I have both figures and tables with field captions
and field references to them. However, while adding a new table, I noticed
that my previous "figure" captions have all changed to "table" captions,
losing the cross reference fields ("Error...."). When I tried to change it,
they al changed to "figure" captions. How did this happen? How can I get it
right?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_129_] Henk57[_129_] is offline

This is odd. Cld it be you overwrote the captions in the body text?
The built-in caption is a field and will be automatically restored when
you update the document. I suggest to define a Caption-Fig and a
Caption-Tbl style with the correct settings. Then they will never be
mixed up.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henlo Henlo is offline

Thanks Henk, but when I tried again today to insert a caption with its
reference, both the figures and tables worked without a problem! I still
can't understand what happened, but I suspect it might have something to do
with the template I've used and the styles associated with it.

Henlo;2492330 Wrote:
I have read this discussion "Links to Table and Figure Numbers" in
search of
an answer to my problem: I have both figures and tables with field
captions
and field references to them. However, while adding a new table, I
noticed
that my previous "figure" captions have all changed to "table"
captions,
losing the cross reference fields ("Error...."). When I tried to change
it,
they al changed to "figure" captions. How did this happen? How can I
get it
right?

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that if you select a caption in the text, and then change the type of
caption (in the Caption dialog box), Word changes all of the captions of the
selected type. This is a possible reason for the problem you have
encountered (but, from your description, I'm not sure that it applies).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Henlo;2492330 Wrote:
I have read this discussion "Links to Table and Figure Numbers" in
search of
an answer to my problem: I have both figures and tables with field
captions
and field references to them. However, while adding a new table, I
noticed
that my previous "figure" captions have all changed to "table"
captions,
losing the cross reference fields ("Error...."). When I tried to change
it,
they al changed to "figure" captions. How did this happen? How can I
get it
right?

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen C.[_2_] Karen C.[_2_] is offline

I am having the same problem. I use the table caption and it changes all the
figure captions to table captions. I think the problem started when I tried
to use a new caption label (table apx) for my tables in the appendix. I got
rid of those labels hoping that it would solve the problem, but to no avail.
I don't mind putting in all of the labels again only if I knew how to reset
them. Any help would be appreciated.

Henlo;2492330 Wrote:
I have read this discussion "Links to Table and Figure Numbers" in
search of
an answer to my problem: I have both figures and tables with field
captions
and field references to them. However, while adding a new table, I
noticed
that my previous "figure" captions have all changed to "table"
captions,
losing the cross reference fields ("Error...."). When I tried to change
it,
they al changed to "figure" captions. How did this happen? How can I
get it
right?

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you set up your appendix captions, did you follow the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...pendixes.html?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Henlo;2492330 Wrote:
I have read this discussion "Links to Table and Figure Numbers" in
search of
an answer to my problem: I have both figures and tables with field
captions
and field references to them. However, while adding a new table, I
noticed
that my previous "figure" captions have all changed to "table"
captions,
losing the cross reference fields ("Error...."). When I tried to
change
it,
they al changed to "figure" captions. How did this happen? How can I
get it
right?

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] rainyday@ripnet.com is offline

Henlo;2492330 Wrote:
I have read this discussion "Links toTableandFigureNumbers" in
search of
an answer to my problem: I have both figures and tables with field
captions
and field references to them. However, while adding a newtable, I
noticed
that my previous "figure" captions have all changed to "table"
captions,
losing the cross reference fields ("Error...."). When I tried to change
it,
they al changed to "figure" captions. How did this happen? How can I
get it
right?

--
Henk57- Hide quoted text -

I have found that if I change an existing caption from table to figure
or figure to table, the software changes all the captions in the
document to this setting. I think that this is supposed to be a
"feature". In order to make the change properly we have found that if
you control C on the text, delete the caption line, insert the new
caption label and number, press OK, and then control V the text into
the line on your page, it seems to work. I know this seems to be a
long way to do it, but it beats copying everything into a new
template. The key here is to delete the existing caption before
inserting the new one.
rewire2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, the fact that Word is trying to be helpful is sometimes a problem. :-)

In order to modify a *single* caption (as opposed to all captions of a
certain type), delete it and reinsert it, as you've noticed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP