Kmhill88

Default why does the busy symbol keep coming up so much while typing?

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.6359.6360). When I am writing the busy symbol
(hour glass) constanly comes up. The courser lags behind my typing and I
don't type very fast.
I just tested to see if the same happens in word pad and note pad. It does
happen in word pad but it doesn't happen in note pad. Please let me know of
any settings I can change. I have a 1.4 GHZ processor with 480 MB of RAM.
garfield-n-odie

Try turning off "Check spelling as you type" and "Check grammar as you
type" in Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar. You can tell Word to
check spelling and grammar at any time by pressing the F7 key.

Kmhill88 wrote:

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.6359.6360). When I am writing the busy symbol
(hour glass) constanly comes up. The courser lags behind my typing and I
don't type very fast.
I just tested to see if the same happens in word pad and note pad. It does
happen in word pad but it doesn't happen in note pad. Please let me know of
any settings I can change. I have a 1.4 GHZ processor with 480 MB of RAM.

Kmhill88

Thank you for the suggestion. It didn't do the trick. However, I turned on my
system performance and saw the a program called spools.exe was taking some
memory every time the busy symbol came up. So, I turned spools.exe off and it
fixed the problem. When I go back into word spools.exe starts up again. Now I
need to find out what that program does and how to control it. I know that
spooling is a means of sending data to a printer but wheather this has
anything to do with that I don't know.

Thanks again and let me know if you know about spools.exe

Kmhill88 wrote:

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.6359.6360). When I am writing the busy symbol
(hour glass) constanly comes up. The courser lags behind my typing and I
don't type very fast.
I just tested to see if the same happens in word pad and note pad. It does
happen in word pad but it doesn't happen in note pad. Please let me know of
any settings I can change. I have a 1.4 GHZ processor with 480 MB of RAM.

Jay Freedman

It sounds like you have a worm, either SDBOT.TD or RBOT-LD. Here are a
couple of references:

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/ente...=WORM_SDBOT.TD
http://spyware.pcwash.com/antispywar...-Rbot.aspx.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Kmhill88 wrote:

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.6359.6360). When I am writing the busy symbol
(hour glass) constanly comes up. The courser lags behind my typing and I
don't type very fast.
I just tested to see if the same happens in word pad and note pad. It does
happen in word pad but it doesn't happen in note pad. Please let me know of
any settings I can change. I have a 1.4 GHZ processor with 480 MB of RAM.

JLawLoeb

I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same problem. I ended the "spools.exe" process
and the problem stopped. One thing that I'm noticing that no one else has
mentioned is that each time the hourglass appears there is a "toolbar" that
appears in the upper left hand corner of the screen which shows the document
layout icons (i.e. Normal View, Web Layout View, Print View, Outline View)
and a small vertical scroll bar handle that I can't click on or even capture
in a screen capture (it just doesn't show up.)

I've used Spybot, AdAware and Symantec anti-virus and it seems like my
system is pretty virus, spyware, adware, worm, malware, etc. free.

This problem is extremely annoying and any help would be greatly
appreciated. I'm going to keep researching until I come up with a fix for it
so if I come up with anything, I'll post it back on this site, too.

Much obliged!