Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Peter is offline

Default How to read Mail Merge Data Source ?

Hi,

We are new to Word 2003. We create mail merge data by using the Mail Merge
Wizard.

However, when we attempt to save data, the only option is a MS Access
Datasource MDB file. Since we would like to keep a record (for management)
to show to whom we have sent letter, they complain that they are not able to
open the MDB file.

We would like to know is there any easy way for us to retrieve data from the
MDB file ? For instance, can we easily retrieve the data from the MDB File
and create a table (with first row with data field name) in Word or Excel ?

Your advice is sought.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

FWIW, it is still possible to create the data source as a simple table in
Word (or Excel). Word will use these data sources just as in the past, and
they can be viewed, edited, and printed easily. But if you just want a
record of whom a letter was sent to, you could create a directory merge
based on the same recipients (or selection of recipients) used for the
letter merge.

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi,

We are new to Word 2003. We create mail merge data by using the Mail

Merge
Wizard.

However, when we attempt to save data, the only option is a MS Access
Datasource MDB file. Since we would like to keep a record (for

management)
to show to whom we have sent letter, they complain that they are not able

open the MDB file.

We would like to know is there any easy way for us to retrieve data from

the
MDB file ? For instance, can we easily retrieve the data from the MDB

File
and create a table (with first row with data field name) in Word or Excel

?

Your advice is sought.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Peter,

We are new to Word 2003. We create mail merge data by using the Mail Merge
Wizard.

However, when we attempt to save data, the only option is a MS Access
Datasource MDB file. Since we would like to keep a record (for management)
to show to whom we have sent letter, they complain that they are not able to
open the MDB file.

We would like to know is there any easy way for us to retrieve data from the
MDB file ? For instance, can we easily retrieve the data from the MDB File
and create a table (with first row with data field name) in Word or Excel ?

Theoretically, one can open the Access MDB file in Access to view, copy, etc.
Practically, once you do so the data management tools in Word will often fail
to recognize it as a valid data source.

However, both Excel and Word provide tools that allow you to import or link
Access data into their documents. For Word, display the Database toolbar, then
use the Insert Database button. You'll find it's a lot like creating a mail
merge. There are options to filter, sort and format the resulting table.

In Excel, you'd need to use the Data menu. For further details, best to ask in
an Excel newsgroup.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org