Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa AGA Lisa AGA is offline

Default Opening files with part of the file name in Word XP

I have a customer who has hundreds of files in Word. Most fo the file names
begin with s long medical term and then a space, a pound sign and a four
digit number. i.e. bariatric #2843.doc. Wejust migrated from Word 2k to Word
XP. She syas she used to be able to open a file in word by just typing the
four digit number in the File Name field and click the OPen button and it
would find that document. XP will not do this. Where can I set a default for
XP to look at all the parts of the filename?
Thank you!
Lisa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm not certain of this, but it appears to be a change in the Windows OS,
not any particular program. The apps basically call the Windows features in
the Open & Save As dialogs, along with various others. The technique will
work if you type the beginning of the file name but not if you use any other
portion - even with a wildcard. This is true in Word 2003 as well as XP.

However, using any part of the file name will locate & isolate only the
file(s) that contains the designated string in the filename. As long as that
is unique (such as the '2843' would be?) you can then open the file in at
least three ways:

1. Use the mouse, or
2. Press Shift+Tab, Up Arrow, Enter, or
3. After isolating the found file(s), type the first letter of its name,
press Enter

Neither of which, admittedly, are _quite_ as convenient as the "old" way,
but I don't have anything more to suggest.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Lisa AGA" wrote in message
I have a customer who has hundreds of files in Word. Most fo the file names
begin with s long medical term and then a space, a pound sign and a four
digit number. i.e. bariatric #2843.doc. Wejust migrated from Word 2k to
Word
XP. She syas she used to be able to open a file in word by just typing the
four digit number in the File Name field and click the OPen button and it
would find that document. XP will not do this. Where can I set a default
for
XP to look at all the parts of the filename?
Thank you!
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa AGA Lisa AGA is offline

Thank you for your response. I thought I read that it was a change in the OS
as well. I was hoping there was a sneaky resolution. Thanks for your time.