Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cgables Cgables is offline

Default drop down form field

I have prepared an application form using form fields. My question is how do
I make the down arrow in the drop down form field stay visible? I have to
click on the box in order for the arrow to show now.

Thank you,
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Have you locked the form yet? The drop-down field won't work correctly until
the form is locked. The down arrow should appear as soon as you lock it.

I hope this helps. If it does, I'd appreciate a click on the "Yes" button.

Fred

"Cgables" wrote:

I have prepared an application form using form fields. My question is how do
I make the down arrow in the drop down form field stay visible? I have to
click on the box in order for the arrow to show now.

Thank you,
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, my "great mind" forgot that the
command is named "protect," rather than "lock." The memory of the padlock
icon took precedence in my mind over the real name of the command.

Oops.

Fred

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you protected the form?

"Cgables" wrote in message
I have prepared an application form using form fields. My question is how

do
I make the down arrow in the drop down form field stay visible? I have to
click on the box in order for the arrow to show now.

Thank you,
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think most users think of it as "locking," anyway.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in message
Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, my "great mind" forgot that the
command is named "protect," rather than "lock." The memory of the padlock
icon took precedence in my mind over the real name of the command.

Oops.

Fred

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you protected the form?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cgables" wrote in message
I have prepared an application form using form fields. My question is

how
do
I make the down arrow in the drop down form field stay visible? I

have to
click on the box in order for the arrow to show now.

Thank you,
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cgables Cgables is offline

Sorry, I have been on jury duty and just returned today. Thank you for your
answers but yes, I have the form protected. In the window for the drop down,
I had to put click here because the arrow does not show up until I click it.
Any thoughts?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think most users think of it as "locking," anyway.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in message
Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, my "great mind" forgot that the
command is named "protect," rather than "lock." The memory of the padlock
icon took precedence in my mind over the real name of the command.

Oops.

Fred

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you protected the form?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cgables" wrote in message
I have prepared an application form using form fields. My question is

how
do
I make the down arrow in the drop down form field stay visible? I

have to
click on the box in order for the arrow to show now.

Thank you,
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

That is how these fields work. The arrow will also appear when the user tabs
into the field. (Unfortunately I know of no keyboard method to display the
list.) What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." For
more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think most users think of it as "locking," anyway.

so
all may benefit.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in
message
Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, my "great mind" forgot that
the
command is named "protect," rather than "lock." The memory of the
padlock
icon took precedence in my mind over the real name of the command.

Oops.

Fred

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you protected the form?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cgables" wrote in message
I have prepared an application form using form fields. My question
is

how
do
I make the down arrow in the drop down form field stay visible? I

have to
click on the box in order for the arrow to show now.

Thank you,
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cgables Cgables is offline

Thank you for that reply. I tried tabbing and it did make the arrow show up.
I will add a note at the top of the form to let the users know to tab
through the form. Thanks so much for the help.
Cindy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think most users think of it as "locking," anyway.

so
all may benefit.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in
message
Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, my "great mind" forgot that
the
command is named "protect," rather than "lock." The memory of the
padlock
icon took precedence in my mind over the real name of the command.

Oops.

Fred

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you protected the form?