Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

Default Word has lost data due to a bad network connection or missing floppy

Word 2003

Another Network Administrator just brought the following error message to
me:

Word has lost data due to a bad network connection or missing floppy.
Documents
relying on this data are going to be saved and then closed.

He is helping a user who is getting this message repeatedly throughout the
day. She is working with files that are on a network drive, which is mapped
through a login script. Other users in the office are able to access the
same files without problems. My guess is that it's not actually a Word
issue, but rather a network issue. Maybe her NIC is dying, maybe there is a
short in her network cable, etc. But I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if this behavior can be caused by something that has gone
awry with Word?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Thomas,

He is helping a user who is getting this message repeatedly throughout the
day. She is working with files that are on a network drive, which is mapped
through a login script. Other users in the office are able to access the
same files without problems. My guess is that it's not actually a Word
issue, but rather a network issue. Maybe her NIC is dying, maybe there is a
short in her network cable, etc. But I'm not sure.

I agree, this is a network issue. Word is even telling you so :-) Wish it had
had the capability to give us this message a decade ago...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

Yeah, that's my thinking too. But it's always nice to have a second
opinion. Thanks for the reply.

--Tom

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Thomas,

He is helping a user who is getting this message repeatedly throughout
the
day. She is working with files that are on a network drive, which is
mapped
through a login script. Other users in the office are able to access the
same files without problems. My guess is that it's not actually a Word
issue, but rather a network issue. Maybe her NIC is dying, maybe there
is a
short in her network cable, etc. But I'm not sure.

I agree, this is a network issue. Word is even telling you so :-) Wish it
had
had the capability to give us this message a decade ago...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

reply