Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Genesis Genesis is offline

Default Word files being duplicated!

In the last week I've noticed that when I open a Word file, it's immediately
duplicated as a sort of ghost file with $~ symbols in front of the new name.
That never happened before and it only happens in Word (not Excel,
Powerpoint, etc). I've searched all over trying to find answers to see if
it's maybe a new virus or trojan but no luck. My operating system is XP and
the same problem happened in Word 2003 and Word XP... My virusscan doesn't
pick up anything either...
Does anyone have any clue why this is happening and what I can do to fix it???
Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's normal behavior for Word. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632 "Description of how
Word creates temporary files" for more information.

Genesis wrote:

In the last week I've noticed that when I open a Word file, it's immediately
duplicated as a sort of ghost file with $~ symbols in front of the new name.
That never happened before and it only happens in Word (not Excel,
Powerpoint, etc). I've searched all over trying to find answers to see if
it's maybe a new virus or trojan but no luck. My operating system is XP and
the same problem happened in Word 2003 and Word XP... My virusscan doesn't
pick up anything either...
Does anyone have any clue why this is happening and what I can do to fix it???
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

As garfield says, this is normal behaviour. If you're seeing it for the
first time, you've changed Explorer settings so you're now displaying hidden
and system files.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

Genesis wrote:

In the last week I've noticed that when I open a Word file, it's
immediately duplicated as a sort of ghost file with $~ symbols in front
of the new name. That never happened before and it only happens in Word
(not Excel, Powerpoint, etc). I've searched all over trying to find
answers to see if it's maybe a new virus or trojan but no luck. My
operating system is XP and the same problem happened in Word 2003 and
Word XP... My virusscan doesn't pick up anything either...
Does anyone have any clue why this is happening and what I can do to fix
it???
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Genesis Genesis is offline

Thank you so much - it is the first time I see this so I guess I made some
changes without realizing it would affect how I view files in Word.
Very grateful,