Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KimberlyWP

Default Convert date text (not field)? e.g. from 5/7/06 to May 7, 2006

Using Word 2002, can I automatically change the way dates are typed
throughout a document? For example, all dates written as 05/07/06 or 5/7/06
to May 7, 2006. Is there a macro out there that will do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard O. Neville

Excel makes this easy, but not Word. If there aren't too many dates, you
might do it manually using the Find and replace menu. You could enter "/06"
(or whatever year) in the Find what box, and replace with "/2006," etc. Do
the same for the day and month, but be sure to include the / mark in you
Find what instruction.

"KimberlyWP" wrote in message
Using Word 2002, can I automatically change the way dates are typed
throughout a document? For example, all dates written as 05/07/06 or
5/7/06
to May 7, 2006. Is there a macro out there that will do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KimberlyWP

Wow that was fast! Thank you so much for responding, Richard. I had a
feeling this would be much easier in Excel. Unfortunately I have a 48-page
document (a rush, of course) that is filled with xx/xx/xx dates and all very
different dates, mind you. I did the search/replace on several, but was only
able to correct a few. Too many to count and as this thing is going to
District Attorney offices and a state governmental entity, I want it to look
pirty.

Someday a smart programmer will figure out how to do this when the dates
don't involve fields. I hope. :-)

Thanks again for your very quick response. I appreciate it.
Kimberly

"Richard O. Neville" wrote:

Excel makes this easy, but not Word. If there aren't too many dates, you
might do it manually using the Find and replace menu. You could enter "/06"
(or whatever year) in the Find what box, and replace with "/2006," etc. Do
the same for the day and month, but be sure to include the / mark in you
Find what instruction.

"KimberlyWP" wrote in message
Using Word 2002, can I automatically change the way dates are typed
throughout a document? For example, all dates written as 05/07/06 or
5/7/06
to May 7, 2006. Is there a macro out there that will do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

If they are actually 'hard' dates you can simply use Find & Replace.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"KimberlyWP" wrote in message
Using Word 2002, can I automatically change the way dates are typed
throughout a document? For example, all dates written as 05/07/06 or
5/7/06
to May 7, 2006. Is there a macro out there that will do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KimberlyWP

I should have phrased my original question better and added "other than using
the Find/Replace feature (like perhaps a macro exists that I'm not aware
of)." I really didn't think it could be done, but didn't want to spend an
afternoon trying to find out how to do this when there's no possible way
other than manually. Unfortunately, the document is huge and the dates I'm
working with go back over a ten-year span and are all different--not many
dates are repeated.

Thank you for responding!
Kimberly