Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
starfly starfly is offline

Default what does the Autoshape Defaults do ?

I am trying to format a document in word 2003... I have got text boxes open
and I want to know what the hell the set autoshape defaults does exactly...
when I press it... nothing happens
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Fredrik E. Nilsen Fredrik E. Nilsen is offline

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 06:20:01 -0700, starfly
wrote:

I am trying to format a document in word 2003... I have got text boxes open
and I want to know what the hell the set autoshape defaults does exactly...
when I press it... nothing happens
thanks

It means that next time you insert an autoshape, it will use the
setting from the currently selected textbox (line colour, line
thickness etc).

--
Fredrik E. Nilsen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

To enlarge on Frederik's reply: The default option makes the settings of the
following text boxes as those of the box you used to set the default.
However, this will only be in effect for the current Word session. When you
restart Word, the text boxes will revert to the original default.

To make the change permanent, you need to set the default and save it to
normal.dot. Open normal.dot, insert a text box and edit it as you want it in
future. Set it as default, then delete the text box and save the now blank
normal.dot. Now new documents will have the new default settings.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"starfly" wrote in message
:I am trying to format a document in word 2003... I have got text boxes open
: and I want to know what the hell the set autoshape defaults does
exactly...
: when I press it... nothing happens
: thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Fredrik E. Nilsen Fredrik E. Nilsen is offline

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:38:31 +0100, "TF"
terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:

To enlarge on Frederik's reply: The default option makes the settings of the
following text boxes as those of the box you used to set the default.
However, this will only be in effect for the current Word session. When you
restart Word, the text boxes will revert to the original default.

To make the change permanent, you need to set the default and save it to
normal.dot. Open normal.dot, insert a text box and edit it as you want it in
future. Set it as default, then delete the text box and save the now blank
normal.dot. Now new documents will have the new default settings.

Thanks for clarifying. I always seem to lack a point or two in my
replies.

--
Fredrik E. Nilsen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Fredrik

That's no problem. Your information was correct which is more than many
replies we see! Keep on posting.

Terry

"Fredrik E. Nilsen" wrote in message
news : On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:38:31 +0100, "TF"
: