Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Default missing captions which I made (Photo)

I made a new caption, called "Photo" (As there was no such a caption in word
default) and used it as caption for some photos. I also cross referenced it
in the body of the paper.
Today when I tried to cross reference a photo number, I realized that they
are gone. Photo captions are nither in caption nor in cross reference. What
has happened and how can I return them?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

missing captions which I made (Photo)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Thanks for your reply. No I am using same machine and haven't changed anything.
Yesterday when I made new caption (photo), they were present in caption
dialogue box and I used it for automatic insertion of upto 7 photos and cross
referenced them in the text body.
Even know those cross references are alive and when I click them, word
directs me to captions, but they are gone from caption dialogue box, make it
impossible to add any other photo caption.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Caption labels are stored in the Registry; are you perhaps handling the
document on a different machine from the one on which you created the label?

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
I made a new caption, called "Photo" (As there was no such a caption in

word
default) and used it as caption for some photos. I also cross referenced

it
in the body of the paper.
Today when I tried to cross reference a photo number, I realized that they
are gone. Photo captions are nither in caption nor in cross reference.

What
has happened and how can I return them?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

missing captions which I made (Photo)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is something perhaps preventing the Registry from saving the label?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Caption labels are stored in the Registry; are you perhaps handling the
document on a different machine from the one on which you created the

label?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
I made a new caption, called "Photo" (As there was no such a caption

in
word
default) and used it as caption for some photos. I also cross

referenced
it
in the body of the paper.
Today when I tried to cross reference a photo number, I realized that

they
are gone. Photo captions are nither in caption nor in cross reference.

What
has happened and how can I return them?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

missing captions which I made (Photo)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

So first step will be to check the registry.
Could you please kindly tell the exact address in Registry to check and see
if there exists the caption?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure exactly. There's some general information in "How to reset user
options and registry settings in Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Word
2002, and Microsoft Word 2000" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822005.
You might have a look round the appropriate Data or Options key.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Thanks for your reply. I will check the site. Do you think my problem with
Word may be related to a virus? Especially Nimda virus which was mentioned by
another MVP colleague?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

I think finally I was able to understand my problem.
I should admit I didn't understand one of your previous replies. You had
replied in 7/4/2006 8:02 PM PST.
I think the reason these captions are missing is that they are inside a
textbox and Word ignores them.
Although I was able to figure out the problem, but still can't put object
and caption insie a frame.
Will be very gratefull if you could kindly address this issue or direct me
to proper link.
TIA
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Your assumption is correct: captions inside text boxes are not
available for cross-referencing. To put a frame around a figure and
its caption (which will enable cross-referencing), make sure to insert
the figure "In line with text," press Enter, and insert the caption.
Select the caption and text paragraph and then, on the Forms toolbar,
click the Insert Frame button. You can use Format | Frame to set
positioning options for the frame.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not sure exactly. There's some general information in "How to

reset user
options and registry settings in Microsoft Office Word 2003,

Microsoft Word
2002, and Microsoft Word 2000" at

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822005.
You might have a look round the appropriate Data or Options key.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Khoshravan" wrote in

message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is something perhaps preventing the Registry from saving the

label?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Khoshravan" wrote in

message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Dear Stefan Blom
That was really really nice reply, I have ever get in this newsgroup.
You showed the way out of heaven to me.
Thanks a lot
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar