Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy Cindy is offline

Default How do I Remove a style in word 2003? That will not delete

I would like to remove a style. I try deleting it, the confirmation window
display, but style remains and is in use. I format the text that is using
that style. Does format, still using unwanted style. Tried clearing the
format for selected text. Still uses that unwanted style.

I can try deleting the style for the 100th time, but it does not delete.
Does anyone know why?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Document corruption often is the culprit. I ran into that situation earlier
this week in Word 2003--the style was not in use, but refused to be deleted.
On a whim, I tried the Manage Styles dialog in Word 2007, and was successful
in zapping it. It no longer shows up in Word 2003.

Since you probably don't have Word 2007, I would try the following:

1. Tools - Templates and Add-ins - Organizer - Styles tab. See if you can
delete the style from here.

or

2. Format - Styles and Formatting - set Show: (bottom) to Custom, enable
Save settings in template (if relevant), click Styles at the bottom, set
Category to User-defined styles, click on the style, then click Delete.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"cindy" wrote in message
I would like to remove a style. I try deleting it, the confirmation window
display, but style remains and is in use. I format the text that is using
that style. Does format, still using unwanted style. Tried clearing the
format for selected text. Still uses that unwanted style.

I can try deleting the style for the 100th time, but it does not delete.
Does anyone know why?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy Cindy is offline

I guess they are not styles, they don't show up in the organizer. In the
Styles and Formatting pane I have stuff I would like to get rid of. I have 4
entries that are BOLD. why one is different than the other I don't know. I
have two labeled Italic. I delete one and reformat that text with the other
Italic format and two show up again.

"cindy" wrote in message
I would like to remove a style. I try deleting it, the confirmation window
display, but style remains and is in use. I format the text that is using
that style. Does format, still using unwanted style. Tried clearing the
format for selected text. Still uses that unwanted style.

I can try deleting the style for the 100th time, but it does not delete.
Does anyone know why?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you're seeing is a feature of the Keep track of formatting setting
(Tools - Options - Edit). This feature *can* be useful for ferreting out
direct formatting versus style formatting. It can also be confusing. If you
turn that setting off (assuming you don't really want it turned on), the
bogus styles should disappear.