F. Edwin Felty

Default Word 2003 doesn't save toolbar customizations??

I just had to do a format and clean install of *everything*. In word 2003, I
like to customize the top line 'toolbar' (File-Edit-View-Insert-etc) by
adding 'work'. This is found by right clicking on a blank space in the
toolbar areaCustomizeCommandsBuilt-in MenusWork. I left click on 'Work'
and drag and drop it on the menu line. This has been uncomplicated in the
past, but now it will not stick. If I close Word and then reopen, it is
gone. After re-applying 'work' to the menu bar, all the docs are still
listed there. Close word, reopen, and it's gone again. What's up with that??

Thanks in advance,

Eddie in Colorado Springs

"Student Runs Over Driver's Ed Teacher" -- AP headline

Greg Maxey

Eddie,

The menus and toolbars are store in the Normal.dot template. It sounds like
you may have a problem with the normal.dot file. Try the tips here to
resolve:

http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissngMenusEtc.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

F. Edwin Felty wrote:
I just had to do a format and clean install of *everything*. In word
2003, I like to customize the top line 'toolbar'
(File-Edit-View-Insert-etc) by adding 'work'. This is found by right
clicking on a blank space in the toolbar
areaCustomizeCommandsBuilt-in MenusWork. I left click on 'Work'
and drag and drop it on the menu line. This has been uncomplicated in
the past, but now it will not stick. If I close Word and then reopen,
it is gone. After re-applying 'work' to the menu bar, all the docs
are still listed there. Close word, reopen, and it's gone again.
What's up with that??

Thanks in advance,

Eddie in Colorado Springs

"Student Runs Over Driver's Ed Teacher" -- AP headline

F. Edwin Felty

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Do you by any chance have Acrobat 7 installed?

"F. Edwin Felty" wrote in message
I just had to do a format and clean install of *everything*. In word
2003, I like to customize the top line 'toolbar'
(File-Edit-View-Insert-etc) by adding 'work'. This is found by right
clicking on a blank space in the toolbar
areaCustomizeCommandsBuilt-in MenusWork. I left click on 'Work'
and drag and drop it on the menu line. This has been uncomplicated
in the past, but now it will not stick. If I close Word and then
reopen, it is gone. After re-applying 'work' to the menu bar, all
the docs are still listed there. Close word, reopen, and it's gone
again. What's up with that??

Thanks in advance,

Eddie in Colorado Springs

"Student Runs Over Driver's Ed Teacher" -- AP headline

Uh-oh...yes, I do. Is that what's up? I tried all the things previously
recommended without change.

Eddie in Colorado Springs

"You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive."

Greg

Edwin,

Yes apparently so. According to Beth Melton:

We've recently learned that their new add-in for Word is preventing
modifications to Normal.dot from being saved.

Either uninstall the add-in or after making your modifications hold
Shift and then click File/Close All in order to manually save
Normal.dot.

Graham Mayor also offers:

I'm still using Acrobat 6, so cannot confirm this works with the
problematic
7, but have you tried loading the add-in only when it is required, by
calling it from a folder other than the start-up folder - see the
method
described at the end of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.

F. Edwin Felty

Greg wrote:
Edwin,

Yes apparently so. According to Beth Melton:

We've recently learned that their new add-in for Word is preventing
modifications to Normal.dot from being saved.

Either uninstall the add-in or after making your modifications hold
Shift and then click File/Close All in order to manually save
Normal.dot.

Graham Mayor also offers:

I'm still using Acrobat 6, so cannot confirm this works with the
problematic
7, but have you tried loading the add-in only when it is required, by
calling it from a folder other than the start-up folder - see the
method
described at the end of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.

Well...

1. There is no option to uninstall any add-ins when looking at add/remove
programsAcrobat 7change/modify

2. There is nothing listed in 'Templates/Add-ins'

3. Making the changes and then 'ShiftLeft click Close' makes no difference

4. I can find no PDFMaker.dot on my system

5. I disabled the 'Speed Launcher', but that didn't make any differencer,
either.

I guess the next step would be to uninstall Acrobat 7??

F. Edwin Felty

Greg wrote:
[...]

Well, I don't have a 'Save All' option. I tried opening 'normal.dot', making
the changes and saving it, but that didn't work either. But thanks for the
reply anyway. I guess I'll try to uninstall Acrobat 7 over the weekend, see
if I can save the changes and reinstall it.

Eddie in Colorado Springs

"Win err 00B - Push error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement."

Rick

Acrobat 7 uses a new method for making the PDFMaker available to Office
apps. You don't need to uninstall Acrobat itself but you do need to edit the
Windows registery.

You need to find the key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\ Addins\PDFMaker.OfficeAddin]

and change the subkey called "LoadBehavior" from a value of 3 to 0.

Greg wrote:
[...]

F. Edwin Felty

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Possibly Beth meant File | Save All?

You are correct, and I got a dialogue box that 'normal.dot' was going to be
changed, but the changes didn't stick. Darnit!!!

F. Edwin Felty

Rick wrote:
Acrobat 7 uses a new method for making the PDFMaker available to
Office apps. You don't need to uninstall Acrobat itself but you do
need to edit the Windows registery.

You need to find the key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\ Addins\PDFMaker.OfficeAddin]

and change the subkey called "LoadBehavior" from a value of 3 to 0.

GREAT SCOTT!!! IT WORKED!!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!

Eddie in Colorado Springs

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive???"

TF

Rick

Thanks for that tip: at least there is a reasonable workaround for the
Acrobat 7 problem.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Rick" wrote in message
: Acrobat 7 uses a new method for making the PDFMaker available to Office
: apps. You don't need to uninstall Acrobat itself but you do need to edit
the
: Windows registery.
:
: You need to find the key
:
:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\ Addins\PDFMaker.OfficeAddin]
:
: and change the subkey called "LoadBehavior" from a value of 3 to 0.
:
:
: "F. Edwin Felty" wrote in message
: ...
: Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
: Possibly Beth meant File | Save All?
:
:
: "F. Edwin Felty" wrote in message
: ...
: Greg wrote:
: Edwin,
:
[...]

Graham Mayor

Not having Acrobat 7 to check, does this prevent the add-in from loading?
And if it does, then how do you re-load it in order to use the macros the
add-in contains, without which Acrobat only provides a shadow of its
available power to produce pdf's from Word.

Does Acrobat 7 still use a dot file add-in? If it does, then the method I
described at http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm
should, in theory, allow greater control of whether the add-in macros are
available or not.

Greg wrote:
[...]

Rick

Acrobat 7 doesn't use a .dot file. If you want to create a PDF from within
Word, you can still print to Distiller (the printer is now called "Adobe
PDF"). As for the PDFMaker and its macros, I suppose you could rig something
through VB. But as far as I'm concerned, any addin that can completely
cripple functionality by its mere presence is a dangerous addin and should
NOT be loaded at all, ever. So for me, until Adobe recognizes and fixes this
problem, the LoadBehavior will remain a 0.

Greg wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

Shooting in the dark here, as I am using Acrobat 6, however I agree with
your comments.

Historically Acrobat add-ins have caused as many problems as they have
solved, but they have been necessary to provide full functionality from
Word. To this end the ability to load the add-in when required was a simple
task when using a DOT add-in. Using a COM add-in presents greater
complications.

It was always possible to print to Distiller, but this then often meant that
further work through Acrobat was necessary to complete the file. Let's hope
that Adobe will fix the problem. Until then, I will happily stick to version
6

Greg wrote:
[...]

TF

Adobe fix the problem? This probably is their idea of FIX.

Terry

[...]
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP