punkster

Default Mail Merge Data Source

I am having trouble using Word mail merge with Excel data list. Both the
letter and data source have not been used since early 2004. The directory
names have changed so the letter cannot find the data. I thought creating a
new letter would solve the problem but, when I go to browse to select an
existing list I cannot get to it.
Following is what I am doing;
In step 3 of the mail merge wizard, I choose BROWSE - Select Data Source -
Change type of file to .xls - find the folder with the Excel data list -
double click the file with the data - A SELECT TABLE window comes up - there
is only a SHEET1$ in the box. - Double clicking that, a list of worksheets
appear in the drop down list - I can select the worksheet I need but when I
do the OK button is greyed out - I am left with CANCEL or OPTIONS - neither
one helps.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? It is a large data list, retyping it
is out of the question. (sorry this is so long)

I am using Word and Excel 2002, on Wondows 2000 Pro

Thanks,--
Punkster
Doug Robbins

From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab and check
the box against "Confirm conversions at open". After doing this, when you
connect to the datasource, you will be asked for the connection method that
you wish to use. Try the DDE option.

I would also suggest that instead of using the Wizard, you activate the
Mailmerge toolbar (ViewToolbars and check that item). It contains buttons
for all of the things that you need to do and is less hassle than the
Wizard.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.