Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TLC TLC is offline

Default Merging from Access 2003 Main Form to Word 2003 document

I have a document in Word 2003 that always worked when merged from an Access
document. For some reason, when I do the merge now it asks for which table
to choose from. The tables are all separate items that are all in the word
document plus there are some that are not in the choice of tables, but are in
the Main Form document in access. I want it to pull from the Main Form data.
Someone else had created this, so I'm not sure why there are separate tables
for everything. The way people add things is through the Main Form design.
If they need to add a new record, they would just click the arrow on the
bottom with the asterisk and then enter the information. Just confused as to
why it would stop working. It did work for someone about a week ago and it
looks just the same as it did then.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?VExD?=,

I have a document in Word 2003 that always worked when merged from an Access
document. For some reason, when I do the merge now it asks for which table
to choose from. The tables are all separate items that are all in the word
document plus there are some that are not in the choice of tables, but are in
the Main Form document in access. I want it to pull from the Main Form data.
Someone else had created this, so I'm not sure why there are separate tables
for everything. The way people add things is through the Main Form design.
If they need to add a new record, they would just click the arrow on the
bottom with the asterisk and then enter the information. Just confused as to
why it would stop working. It did work for someone about a week ago and it
looks just the same as it did then.

Any suggestions?

Quite frankly, I'm totally confused as to how this is set up. Literally
speaking, Access doesn't have "documents". Then, I don't follow how "the tables
are all separate items that are all in the word document".

Generally speaking, if you're getting a dialog box that prompts for the table,
mail merge is looking for a data source (Access) table. And this means that the
connection information for OLE DB is incomplete. Without knowing how the main
merge document was/is connected to the data source, it's not really possible to
say much more than that... For instance, is there VBA code in Word or Access
that's executing the OpenDatasource method?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)