Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson

Default Drawing in Word for Office 2003 vs 97

I updated to 2003 and see that draw works differently. I inserted a jpg file
in my doc and would like to draw some simple shapes on it. For kicks, let's
say it's an X composed of two lines. When I try to do this, I get a big
frame in the doc saying please draw in this area. In 97, I could just draw
right over the jpg file img. Each time I attempted this in 2003, it insisted
on putting in the frame. Finally, I gave up and dragged the jpg file inside
the frame and added the two lines. I then tried doing a similar thing with
another jpg file. I can draw over the image and never get prompted with a
frame. What's going on?

"He who laughs, lasts." -- Mary Pettibone Poole
--

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc

W. Watson,
Your drawing canvas is active. Go to Tools - options - general tab - remove
the check next to the last checkbox which automatically activates the
drawing canvas.
Luc
"W. Watson" schreef in bericht
nk.net...
I updated to 2003 and see that draw works differently. I inserted a jpg
file in my doc and would like to draw some simple shapes on it. For kicks,
let's say it's an X composed of two lines. When I try to do this, I get a
big frame in the doc saying please draw in this area. In 97, I could just
draw right over the jpg file img. Each time I attempted this in 2003, it
insisted on putting in the frame. Finally, I gave up and dragged the jpg
file inside the frame and added the two lines. I then tried doing a similar
thing with another jpg file. I can draw over the image and never get
prompted with a frame. What's going on?

"He who laughs, lasts." -- Mary Pettibone Poole
--

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:01:31 GMT, "W. Watson"
wrote:

I updated to 2003 and see that draw works differently. I inserted a jpg file
in my doc and would like to draw some simple shapes on it. For kicks, let's
say it's an X composed of two lines. When I try to do this, I get a big
frame in the doc saying please draw in this area. In 97, I could just draw
right over the jpg file img. Each time I attempted this in 2003, it insisted
on putting in the frame. Finally, I gave up and dragged the jpg file inside
the frame and added the two lines. I then tried doing a similar thing with
another jpg file. I can draw over the image and never get prompted with a
frame. What's going on?

The frame -- formally called the drawing canvas -- is supposed to let
you make a drawing with multiple lines and shapes that will
automatically be kept together (not quite the same as using the Group
command, but similar). Unfortunately it turned out to be just a PITA
for most people. Fortunately you can turn it off: go to Tools
Options General and uncheck "Automatically create drawing canvas
when inserting AutoShapes".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman