Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news

Default Links to another document

Hello all,

Using Word 2003.

I am writing some information security policy documents:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...\infosec\policies\policy1.doc
...\infosec\policies\policy2.doc
...\infosec\policies\policy3.doc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
etc.

I am also writing a glossary document:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...\infosec\misc\glossary.doc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The policies contain many technical words and phrases that require
explanation in the glossary.

What I would like to do is attach a clickable link to each technical
word/phrase in the policy documents. The link will point to the
corresponding explanation in the glossary.

I assume that I can mark each word/phrase in the glossary with a
bookmark, but how do I set up a relative link in the policy document
that points to the bookmark?

(The glossary document will always be at the same relative path to the
policy documents; that is, ..\misc\glossary.doc).

--
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news

In message , news
writes
(The glossary document will always be at the same relative path to the
policy documents; that is, ..\misc\glossary.doc).

Oops. I should have said:

...\..\misc\glossary.doc

--
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news

In message , news
writes

What I would like to do is attach a clickable link to each technical
word/phrase in the policy documents. The link will point to the
corresponding explanation in the glossary.

Oh dear. Does the absence of any response mean it can't be done?

--
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Select the word or phrase in the glossary document and copy to the
clipboard. In the other document edit paste as hyperlink.

news wrote:
In message , news
writes

What I would like to do is attach a clickable link to each technical
word/phrase in the policy documents. The link will point to the
corresponding explanation in the glossary.

Oh dear. Does the absence of any response mean it can't be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news

In message , Graham Mayor
writes
Select the word or phrase in the glossary document and copy to the
clipboard. In the other document edit paste as hyperlink.

Graham, that's almost what I want, except the hyperlink contains the
*full* path to the target.

I just need the *relative* path (..\..\misc), as the documents root
folder may be located anywhere on the network. Is there any way I can
specify a relative link, or somehow edit the link to make it relative?

--
Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

I don't think this is going to work with relative paths. The best you can
manage, I suspect, would be to ensure that both the document and the
glossary are saved in the same folder - that way you can eliminate the path
altogether as Word always looks in the document folder if it cannot find the
data. Thus you could edit the hyperlink to show Glossary.doc#bookmark
to jump to the bookmark in the glossary.

news wrote:
In message , Graham Mayor
writes
Select the word or phrase in the glossary document and copy to the
clipboard. In the other document edit paste as hyperlink.

Graham, that's almost what I want, except the hyperlink contains the
*full* path to the target.

I just need the *relative* path (..\..\misc), as the documents root
folder may be located anywhere on the network. Is there any way I can
specify a relative link, or somehow edit the link to make it relative?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news

In message , Graham Mayor
writes
I don't think this is going to work with relative paths. The best you can
manage, I suspect, would be to ensure that both the document and the
glossary are saved in the same folder - that way you can eliminate the path
altogether as Word always looks in the document folder if it cannot find the
data. Thus you could edit the hyperlink to show Glossary.doc#bookmark
to jump to the bookmark in the glossary.

You set me thinking. I have now discovered "Edit Hyperlink", and there
is an option there to select relative links. This was already selected.

I then discovered that when I let the cursor hover over the hyperlink,
although it shows the full path from C:\ downwards, it is actually a
resolved relative path. I moved the files to different folders, and sure
enough the full path changed, but the relative path still worked.

And in fact, after further experimentation, I discovered that the policy
doc (containing the hyperlink) and the glossary do not have to be in the
same folder.

So, problem solved. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Graham.

--
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news

In message , news
writes
So, problem solved. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Graham.

Hmmm, another snag.

The hyperlink works fine. I click on the link in document A, and this
takes me to the corresponding bookmark in document B.

But in doing this, document A automatically closes. How do I prevent
this?

--
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In the Hyperlink dialog, you can click on Target Frame... and choose New
Window. This will insert the \t "_blank" switch into your HYPERLINK field
code.

"news" wrote in message
In message , news
writes
So, problem solved. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Graham.

Hmmm, another snag.

The hyperlink works fine. I click on the link in document A, and this
takes me to the corresponding bookmark in document B.

But in doing this, document A automatically closes. How do I prevent
this?

--
Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news

In message , Suzanne S. Barnhill
writes
In the Hyperlink dialog, you can click on Target Frame... and choose New
Window. This will insert the \t "_blank" switch into your HYPERLINK field
code.

Another problem solved! As usual, many thanks Suzanne.

--
Ian