Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jbwerner jbwerner is offline

Default How do I get the paragraph marker on the same line as the page bre

Im having some trouble with page breaks and the paragraph marker. I have
Word set to show all formatting marks. Sometimes when I create a page break
(ctrl-enter) it shows a short page break symbol immediately followed by a
paragraph marker. Other times the page break symbol takes the whole width of
the paper and puts the paragraph marker on top of the next page. If I delete
the paragraph marker and start typing at the top of the page Word formats
this new page with the same settings as the previous page. My other option
is to not delete the paragraph marker thus leaving blank space at the top.
How do I get the paragraph marker on the same line as the page break?€ƒ€ƒ€ƒ
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

jbwerner wrote:
I'm having some trouble with page breaks and the paragraph marker. I
have Word set to show all formatting marks. Sometimes when I create
a page break (ctrl-enter) it shows a short page break symbol
immediately followed by a paragraph marker. Other times the page
break symbol takes the whole width of the paper and puts the
paragraph marker on top of the next page. If I delete the paragraph
marker and start typing at the top of the page Word formats this new
page with the same settings as the previous page. My other option is
to not delete the paragraph marker thus leaving blank space at the
top. How do I get the paragraph marker on the same line as the page
break?

Here's a better way: Don't use a page break at all. Format the following
paragraph of text (either directly or by applying a style) with the Page
Break Before attribute from the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph
dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jbwerner jbwerner is offline

Default How do I get the paragraph marker on the same line as the page

Thanks that worked.

I suppose this way is better because it works, but hitting ctrl-enter is
quicker (when it works).

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

jbwerner wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that the behavior of the manual page break depends on the "Split apart
page break and paragraph mark" compatibility option.

To see the compatibility options in Word 2007: Click the Office button, and
then click Word Options. In the Advanced category, look under "Compatibility
options for." You will have to click the plus sign next to "Layout Options"
to see the options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

jbwerner wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is there a description of all the "compatibility options" available
somewhere? Help gives an explanation of (almost) all the Advanced
options down to that point, and then nothing -- just where the names
become most cryptic.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

jbwerner wrote:
[...]

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

For versions up to Word 2003, there is this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288792

I don't see an equivalent page yet for Word 2007. This article discusses the
"Split apart page break and paragraph mark" compatibility option, which is
new in 2007.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

jbwerner wrote:
I'm having some trouble with page breaks and the paragraph
marker. I have Word set to show all formatting marks. Sometimes
when I create a page break (ctrl-enter) it shows a short page
break symbol immediately followed by a paragraph marker. Other
times the page break symbol takes the whole width of the paper
and puts the paragraph marker on top of the next page. If I
delete the paragraph marker and start typing at the top of the
page Word formats this new page with the same settings as the
marker thus leaving blank space at the top. How do I get the
paragraph marker on the same line as the page break?

Here's a better way: Don't use a page break at all. Format the
following paragraph of text (either directly or by applying a
style) with the Page Break Before attribute from the Line and Page
Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Compatibility options explanations

Thanks -- some of them look pretty useful. Some remain
uninterpretable, when they say things like "as in Word 97."