Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Leslie Leslie is offline

Default Word docs won't open

It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the doc but if
i double click it i get an error message....windows cannot find
'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

..

Leslie wrote:
It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the doc
but if i double click it i get an error message....windows cannot find
'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure you typed the
name correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Leslie Leslie is offline

Graham,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I entered the information as
specified on the weblink you gave me. It said it was registering Office
Ultimate...never made any progress after approx. 5 minutes so i closed the
window. Is this the only solution? Reregistering the office product? They do
open if I open word and go to file/open/select the .doc or .docx file
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Leslie wrote:
It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the doc
but if i double click it i get an error message....windows cannot find
'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure you typed the
name correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

It is better to put shortcuts in the desktop folder rather than the actual
document.
Try saving the doc in a different folder and seeing if it will open with a
double click.

"Leslie" wrote:

It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the doc but if
i double click it i get an error message....windows cannot find
'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Leslie Leslie is offline

I tried opening a word doc under my documents rather than from my desktop. I
also tried opening a word doc that is in a folder on my desktop. Samr
results. Is that what you meant for me to try? I also tried saving one in a
folder that is under my documents. No luck...anyone else got a solution?
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

"Leslie" wrote:

It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the doc but if
i double click it i get an error message....windows cannot find
'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Warning: This is a guess.

The problem may be with the DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange). You might try
deleting the following registry key.

€śHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open\d deexec€ť

See: How to reset user options and registry settings in Word
at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005/en-us

Note: Using the Registry Editor is a very serious step.

"Leslie" wrote:

It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the doc but if
i double click it i get an error message....windows cannot find
'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Insert the original Office installation disc. Run setup and repair the
installation. This should make the same registry changes that re-registering
applies.

Leslie wrote:
It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the
doc but if i double click it i get an error message....windows
cannot find 'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure
you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Leslie Leslie is offline

Problem Solved! It turns out my AVG was causing the conflict. We had it
updated to version 8.0.93 and all is well. Thanks to all who tried!
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

"Leslie" wrote:

It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the doc but if
i double click it i get an error message....windows cannot find
'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CalebH CalebH is offline

I was having the exact same symptoms as described, but my solution was
different.

My anti-virus was up-to-date, my Office 2007 (Small Business) was repaired
(this problem started with a fresh install already), and I had scoured
through all the Word specific settings I could find with no solution.

So, I uninstalled Business Contact Manager (SP1) and the problem went away.
I uninstalled the Contact Manager on a whim. I just tried uninstalling all
Office 2007 related programs that I knew were non-critical to actually
running the suite of applications.

I didn't have a chance to try the registry edit or the re-registering, but I
had done everything else described here.

I hope my solution helps some of the others who haven't had luck with
solutions before it.

Sincerely,
Caleb H