Ed Conrad

Default Remove foreign language formatting markups?

I have a user who works in an international marketing group. She gets some
documents that were formatted in other languages for which the Track Changes
feature was enabled. When she chooses to accept all changes before sending
the document to a client (so that the editing markups won't be available),
she still sees some comments pointing to sections of the document that were
formatted in another language. For example, they will appear as "Format:
French", etc.

How can we remove those markup annotations so that the final recipient of
the document does not see them?

Klaus Linke

Ed Conrad wrote:
I have a user who works in an international marketing group. She gets
some documents that were formatted in other languages for which the
Track Changes feature was enabled. When she chooses to accept all
changes before sending the document to a client (so that the editing
markups won't be available), she still sees some comments pointing to
sections of the document that were formatted in another language.
For example, they will appear as "Format: French", etc.

How can we remove those markup annotations so that the final recipient
of the document does not see them?

Hi Ed,

I didn't reply to your earlier post since I can't figure out what your user sees.
I take it she doesn't see anything in the reviewing pane after she accepts all tracked changes.
Then where does she see those "comments"?

If some of the text is (formatted) in French, this will be visible. But I don't see how this relates to "Track changes".

In "Tools Options Save" you have the option to save language specific information, or remove it on saving. I guess this kicks in
when Word has made guesses about the language (because you checked "Automattically detect language" in "Tools Language Set
language"), but maybe it'll also help you remove whatever comments your user sees.

Greetings,
Klaus

Ed Conrad

Actually, she sees these comments on the reading view screen -- they look
just like normal markup comments, but they pertain to sections of the
document translated from French. I can't find any way to remove them.
Choosing to Accept All Changes has no effect on these comments.

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

Hi Ed,

I didn't reply to your earlier post since I can't figure out what your user sees.
I take it she doesn't see anything in the reviewing pane after she accepts all tracked changes.
Then where does she see those "comments"?

If some of the text is (formatted) in French, this will be visible. But I don't see how this relates to "Track changes".

In "Tools Options Save" you have the option to save language specific information, or remove it on saving. I guess this kicks in
when Word has made guesses about the language (because you checked "Automattically detect language" in "Tools Language Set
language"), but maybe it'll also help you remove whatever comments your user sees.

Greetings,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Hi Ed,

If you want to (and if it's not confidential), you can mail me a sample doc to my private mail address.
It does sound like buggy behaviour, if accepting all changes doesn't remove these formatting revisions.

Have you been able to check out if clearing the option I mentioned and then saving the document makes a difference?
You might also try the "Remove Hidden Data" add-in:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834427

Good luck,
Klaus