Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luis Ortega Luis Ortega is offline

Default Office 2003 won't remember custom menu settings

I installed Office 2003 and I tried to customize the menus but it won't
remember the settings and every time I start one of the applications, the
menu icons have all reverted to the default setup.
I had this same program working fine before, but since I reformatted and
reistalled everything it has not worked.
Is there a preferences file that I can delete and let it rebuild itself?
I have tried to repair the Office installation twice and even uninstalled
and reinstalled the Word component but it made no difference.
If I uninstall the entire program and reinstall it, will I also lose the
activation or will the computer remember it?
Can anyone please advise on what may be wrong?
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

Have you ran the "Save my Settings Wizard" tool? Start, Microsoft Office Tools.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Luis Ortega" wrote in message
I installed Office 2003 and I tried to customize the menus but it won't
remember the settings and every time I start one of the applications, the menu
icons have all reverted to the default setup.
I had this same program working fine before, but since I reformatted and
reistalled everything it has not worked.
Is there a preferences file that I can delete and let it rebuild itself?
I have tried to repair the Office installation twice and even uninstalled and
reinstalled the Word component but it made no difference.
If I uninstall the entire program and reinstall it, will I also lose the
activation or will the computer remember it?
Can anyone please advise on what may be wrong?
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luis Ortega Luis Ortega is offline

Thanks. Yes I did.
If I uninstall all of Office and reinstall, will it need to be activated
again?

"Luis Ortega" wrote in message
I installed Office 2003 and I tried to customize the menus but it won't
remember the settings and every time I start one of the applications, the
menu icons have all reverted to the default setup.
I had this same program working fine before, but since I reformatted and
reistalled everything it has not worked.
Is there a preferences file that I can delete and let it rebuild itself?
I have tried to repair the Office installation twice and even uninstalled
and reinstalled the Word component but it made no difference.
If I uninstall the entire program and reinstall it, will I also lose the
activation or will the computer remember it?
Can anyone please advise on what may be wrong?
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You may have a corrupt registry entry - see
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm Start by deleting the
toolbars sub key and letting Word build a new one.
Next open normal.dot. Make your changes. Add a character to the text space
and delete it, then save normal.dot.

Luis Ortega wrote:
I installed Office 2003 and I tried to customize the menus but it
won't remember the settings and every time I start one of the
applications, the menu icons have all reverted to the default setup.
I had this same program working fine before, but since I reformatted
and reistalled everything it has not worked.
Is there a preferences file that I can delete and let it rebuild
itself? I have tried to repair the Office installation twice and even
uninstalled and reinstalled the Word component but it made no
difference. If I uninstall the entire program and reinstall it, will I
also lose
the activation or will the computer remember it?
Can anyone please advise on what may be wrong?
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Does Word remember any other changes to defaults such as changing the font
of page layout? If it doesn't, then I guess that you are probably using
Adobe Acrobat Writer or some similar utility (but Acrobat is the usual
culprit) that is stopping normal.dot being saved.

You can either run Acrobat setup and remove the add-ins or download the
latest update top Acrobat that should resolve the problem.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Luis Ortega" wrote in message
I installed Office 2003 and I tried to customize the menus but it won't
remember the settings and every time I start one of the applications, the
menu icons have all reverted to the default setup.
I had this same program working fine before, but since I reformatted and
reistalled everything it has not worked.
Is there a preferences file that I can delete and let it rebuild itself?
I have tried to repair the Office installation twice and even uninstalled
and reinstalled the Word component but it made no difference.
If I uninstall the entire program and reinstall it, will I also lose the
activation or will the computer remember it?
Can anyone please advise on what may be wrong?
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luis Ortega Luis Ortega is offline

No, it doesn't, and the other programs in Office also don't remember their
tollbar customizations or other default customizations.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Luis