Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Chris is offline

Default Problem with merge field switches when merging from Access 2007

Hello,

I have been trying to insert the merge field switches to control the
appearance of data merged from Access 2007.

I am merging from an Access dbase query and I converted the fields in Access
to Currency and 2 decimal places there first.

I went into the the Word 2007 options and turned on "Confirm file format
conversion on open". In the Confirm Data Source dialogue box I am selecting
MS Access Databases via DDE (*.mdb;*.mde). There is often a problem with
this little procedure as well, but that is for a different day.

I am inserting the field switches as indicated on Graham Mayor's website at

When I toggle the field code in Word this is what I am using:
{ MERGEFIELD ColFee "$,#.00;($,#.00" }

I have tried other methods as well but nothing seems to work.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You have omitted the \#

You should be using { MERGEFIELD ColFee \# "$,#.00;($,#.00" }

Note however, if you are using the Format() function in a query in Access to
format the currency to the way that you want it, that will convert it to
text and no further formatting will be required in Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Chris is offline

Default Problem with merge field switches when merging from Access 200

Hello Doug,

Sorry for the lateness of the reply but it seems the postings were not being
listed until just now.

The ommission of the \* was a typo on my part in the original posting - it
was not ommitted in the Word file. My apologies. Changing the Field switch
and updating always resulted in an error. I did in fact also format the
field in the Access file as Currency (2 decimal places), but that had no
effect either. Because it was not working I ended up saving the Word file
and the Access files in 2003 formats. This did work.

I am beginning to think that there are some issues here that need to be
sorted out my Microsoft.

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sorry for the lateness of the reply but it seems the postings were

not being
listed until just now.

FWIW the responses to your previous posts were visible here not long
after they were posted, but precisely what has gone wrong I cannot tell.

The ommission of the \* was a typo on my part in the original posting

- it
was not ommitted in the Word file. My apologies.

Lets' assume you actually had a \#, and you meant \# :-)

I did in fact also format the
field in the Access file as Currency (2 decimal places)

More likely the problem results from the use of a "Currency" type -
there are some known problems in this area and converting your currency
tpe to something else may well help, which is probably why Doug said:

Note however, if you are using the Format() function in a query in

Access to
format the currency to the way that you want it, that will convert it to
text and no further formatting will be required in Word.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Chris is offline

Sorry Peter,

I made a second typo, but that said it is still not working. I am going to
try this for a while longer and respond if I still can't get it to go.
Thanks for the input anyway.

Cheers, Chris

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Exactly how did you apply the Format() function in Access

What I meant was to use Format([ColFee],"$#,###.00") in a query. Not to
format the field type in the Table Design as Currency as that only dictates
how the data is displayed in Access and not how it is stored.

Using the Format() function converts the numeric data to text so that no
format switch is required when the data from a query is used in mail merge.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Chris is offline

Thanks Doug,

That does clarify it a bit. I am trying to do this now. I should note that
this is a calculated query field in Access 2007 and the expression now looks
like this:

Format([ColFee],"$#,###.00"): ([Account Information]![Col#]*0.65)

where formaerly it looked like this:

[ColFee]: ([Account Information]![Col#]*0.65)

There is apparently a syntax error in the calculated field. Any ideas?

Thanks, Chris

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Try

[ColFee]: Format([Account Information]![Col#]*0.65,"$#,###.00")

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The entry in the query should be

[ColFee]: Format([Account Information]![Col#]*0.65, "$#,###.00")

The [ ] around ColFee are unnecessary so it could just be:

ColFee: Format([Account Information]![Col#]*0.65, "$#,###.00")

in which case the name of the mergefield would appear as ColFee rather than
[ColFee]
--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Exactly how did you apply the Format() function in Access

What I meant was to use Format([ColFee],"$#,###.00") in a query. Not to
format the field type in the Table Design as Currency as that only
dictates
how the data is displayed in Access and not how it is stored.

Using the Format() function converts the numeric data to text so that no
format switch is required when the data from a query is used in mail
merge.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on
a paid professional basis.

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Chris is offline

Thank you very much Peter - this worked as it should (I had to remove the [ ]
from the field name though as suggested by Doug) Thank you both very much.

I am still having problems using the Access file in 2007 format in a Word
2007 Merge document. I can link it to an Access 2002-2003 file type, but I
want to work on this a bit bit more before bothering anyone else for a day or
so.

Very much appreciated, once again,

Chris