carrol

Default linking documents together and mail merging at the same time

I want to be able to link about 5 different documents together and merge them
with my access table.

Can this be done?

Thank you!

carrol

I have five documents with merge codes. I have the data in access. If I
merge each document with my data it's fine. However, I want to be able to
run the mailmerge for the five documents at one time with the access data.
So, I thought if I could like the docs together, I could merge all the docs
at one time rather than merging each document separately. I don't want to
have to insert each file in the main file and merge it, I want each document
in it's own file.

carrol wrote:
I want to be able to link about 5 different documents together and
merge them with my access table.

Can this be done?

Thank you!

Graham Mayor

Create a new document containing includetext fields referencing the
individual documents.
eg
{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\path\\docname1.doc"}
{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\path\\docname2.doc"}
{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\path\\docname3.doc"}
{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\path\\docname4.doc"}
{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\path\\docname5.doc"}

The original documents may have to be unlinked from the data source (set
each to normal word document from the merge toolbar -
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm ) and you will
probably need to insert a manual page break between each includetext field,
to separate the documents in the final merge. Attach the data file to this
new document, select all (CTRL+A) and update the fields (F9) and you will
have a new document which links all the other documents together, which you
should be able to merge normally. Provided you update the fields in this new
document before you run the merge, and changes in the original documents
will be reflected in the merge document.

carrol wrote:
I want to be able to link about 5 different documents together and
merge them with my access table.

Can this be done?

Thank you!

carrol

ok. this works well.

Now I have a problem. I have access set up so that I enter data on a table
and then merge it to my word document. However, When I merge the document, I
want to be able to pick the clients I want the merge for - I don't want it to
merge all of the records (clients) I enter. So the way it is now, I might
have 50 clients I enter data for but only one that I want to use at this time
to merge.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

carrol wrote:
I want to be able to link about 5 different documents together and
merge them with my access table.

Can this be done?

Thank you!

cth5c

I have a similar situation, and tried your solution. Five similar documents,
using the same data source, each letter filtering the data with SKIPIF
statements based one one of the fields. I made sure the data source (in my
case, an Excel file) was unlinked from the merge documents before I linked
them together with an INCLUDETEXT statement.

When I went to update the fields, I got the message that some or all the
fields could not be updated. Then, when I merged, I got errors, and ended up
with the first original document merged, with four INCLUDETEXT statements at
the end of each letter. What am I doing wrong?

C. Baber