Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nessy nessy is offline

Default Producing directories using mail merge

Can I produce different style directories using mailmerge. I have about 270+
adddresses plus individual interests (upto 20 options for each) Any ideas of
how I can create a horizontal listing. any advice welcome. Thanks Vanessa UK
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can produce lots of different layouts using Word (generally speaking
it's useful to experiment), but
a. which version of Word?
b. what is the data source (Outlook contacts? An Excel spreadsheet?...)
c. what do you mean by a "horizontal listing" ?

It may also be better or easier to produce a directory in another
application such as Access, Excel, etc. depending on what you need and what
software is available to you.

Peter Jamieson
"nessy" wrote in message
Can I produce different style directories using mailmerge. I have about
270+
adddresses plus individual interests (upto 20 options for each) Any ideas
of
how I can create a horizontal listing. any advice welcome. Thanks Vanessa
UK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nessy nessy is offline

Hi Peter, I'm using word 2003. Datasource is an Access database. By
Horizontal listing I'm thinking one listing for each of my members which
flows across the top of a portrait page. Follwed by another one underneath.
I've tried changing the page set up. Thanks Vanessa

"nessy" wrote in message
Can I produce different style directories using mailmerge. I have about
270+
adddresses plus individual interests (upto 20 options for each) Any ideas
of
how I can create a horizontal listing. any advice welcome. Thanks Vanessa
UK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

First, you may find it easier to produce what you want in Access using its
Report generator anyway. I'm not so familiar with that.

Horizontal listing I'm thinking one listing for each of my members which
flows across the top of a portrait page. Follwed by another one
underneath.

I'm still not clear what you want - if it's one /row/ per member in a table,
it's generally best to set your mail merge main document up as a single-row
table with one column for each field. Put one mergefield in each cell.
Don't have anything else in the mail merge main document - not even extra
paragraph marks. Merge to a new document, then add a row to the table for
headings.

However, a tabular layout like that may not be so good at dealing with
this...

plus individual interests (upto 20 options for each)

How to do that depends partly on your table structure. if all the optional
information is in a single record in Access, I suspect what you need is
something along the general lines of

Name Other details Interests
Name some field name Interest field A
Interest field B
Interest field C
etc. up to the 20th interest field.

where the fields and header are aligned using tabs (you probably won't see
it like that in this message). Word should remove lines where the interest
fields are blank.

If on the other hand you have a separate interest table, you may need
something else. But let's cross that bridge if we come to it.

If that's not the problem, have another go at spelling it out...

Peter Jamieson