B?atrice Karjalainen

Default Autoformat table doesn't format font's after changing default font

Here is how to test this odd problem (in MS Word 2003 as a part of MS
Office 2003):
1. Set the normal paragraph style to something else the Times New
Roman, e.g. Comic Sans MS 10. (Format-Font select Comic Sans MS and
10 and hit Default... button)

2. Create a table style (Table-Table AutoFormat) and set it to some
other font e.g. Arial 20, apply it the whole table. Hit OK and then
Apply.

3. Look at your table it will still be in Comic Sans MS 10.

4. Now revert step 1 so the Default font is Times New Roman 12 again.
Voilį the table has Comic Sans MS 10.

The font set for a table style only applies to a table if you have
Times New Roman (TNR) set as default font, the same problem is
appearing if you change the style Normal to something else then TNR.

Is there anyone with a solution to this error? We do not have TNR as
font in our documentation here at work and I would like to make
templates with table styles.

I found that another person asked this in February this year but he
didn't get any answer so therefor I ask again.
Regards,

Bea
Margaret Aldis

Yes, this is an accurate description of a known problem. I can't imagine why
it was designed like this but that's the way it works.

Most people workaround by setting up separate styles for text in Tables, and
ignore the font settings in the table style. Another approach is to leave
the Normal style at the default, and don't base other styles on it. (Define
ordinary text styles from a different base style to set to the document
font.) You can then use 'Clear Formatting' on the text within the table to
make it take up the font(s) determined by the table style.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"B?atrice Karjalainen" wrote in message
om...
[...]

B?atrice Karjalainen

Hi!

Thank you for your answer. Hmm the work arounds means that I have to
write instruction to the table and risk that some within the
organisation doesnät read the instructions. We are making a new
graphical profile and would like to use templats that are easy to use.
I have defined special styles for table elements but it is hard to get
everyone to use them.

I can't base table formatting on enything else then Normal, they all
fall back on Table Normal and you can't change that one.

I can't make a new style to use for "normal text" because I know that
it will be impossible to learn everyone that they shall not use Normal
for body text. They are so used to use the predefined styles.

I find it very strange that MS hasn't fixed this bug or mentioned in
the KB. Does anyone know if it is fixed in Office XP?

/Bea

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in message ...
Yes, this is an accurate description of a known problem. I can't imagine why
it was designed like this but that's the way it works.

Most people workaround by setting up separate styles for text in Tables, and
ignore the font settings in the table style. Another approach is to leave
the Normal style at the default, and don't base other styles on it. (Define
ordinary text styles from a different base style to set to the document
font.) You can then use 'Clear Formatting' on the text within the table to
make it take up the font(s) determined by the table style.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

Table style keeps losing its font Todd Crandell Tables 6 May 27th 05 06:49 PM
Default font - possible bulletproof fix in Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 January 14th 05 09:14 PM
Default Font Lloyd Microsoft Word Help 3 December 21st 04 03:42 PM
Getting the format of a table Kind writer/user/programmer Tables 0 October 29th 04 02:52 AM
Word 2003 Table AutoFormat vs Macro vs VBA Kind writer/user/programmer Tables 1 October 28th 04 03:14 PM