Marko Pinteric

Default Bug in Table Style

Hello Word Experts!

I hope you will find some time to help this Word amateur with his problem.

I am trying to make a template for my company, as I have (perhaps rather
naive) belief that this will all of us save some time. With LaTeX, in
which I have some expertise, styling is difficult, but has fabulous
results, in word styling is buggy and often does not provide options you
want to change.

Well, we do a lot of tables and text in tables should be 10 points only.
However, it is impossible to do that, in table style all sizes but 10
points work. I have searched www and did find some references to this
problem, but no real solution. The only solution suggested was to make
Normal style 10 points, but of course such solution results in total
mess with ALL OTHER STYLES (which are, of course, also based on Normal).
So this is - as I see it - out of the question. There is also another
thing I have noted and which is not documented on www. If I wish to do
vertical AND horizontal alignment of text in tables, normal style text
should be left aligned. In my case we use justified alignment, so my
alignments specified in the table style are simply ignored by Word!

You guys are the very last straw in my pursuit. Should I give up and
conclude that Word styling is crap and let my coworkers and myself
continue writing dirty documents (with 200+ ad hoc styles!) Or is there
a light in the end of the tunnel?

Thank you for your answers and best regards,

Marko

(if possible, reply to e-mail as well)
Graham Mayor

It is not a particularly bright plan to base all text styles on normal.

By default the text in a table is from the normal style; however, you can
apply any text style to the text in a table, just like any other text. e.g.
create a style called 'table body text' based on 'no style' and with 10
points of whatever font you like and apply it to the table.

Marko Pinteric wrote:
[...]

Marko Pinteric

Word takes Normal as a default style for everything, e.g., when you copy
and paste from other documents, it is always Normal style. So it is
impossible to avoid Normal style as some kind of default style.

Or is it?

Marko

It is not a particularly bright plan to base all text styles on normal.

Graham Mayor

You are not going to be able to avoid the influence of the 'normal'
paragraph style completely, but that does not mean you should set it as the
base for your personal styles. You can change the base style for your
personal styles to 'no style' in the format style dialog. The format style
dialog will take the style characteristics at the cursor as a start point.

Graham Mayor wrote:
It is not a particularly bright plan to base all text styles on
normal.

Marko Pinteric

Thank you for your answer.

Just one more question. What is better to do?

1. base my main personal "Paragraph" style on "no style" and all other
personal styles on "Paragraph" style

2. base all or most of my personal styles on "no style"

Best regards, Marko.