CJinTexas

Default keep cell size in table

I have a form template created in MS Word 2003. The problem I am faced
with is when the enter key is hit inside a cell, the cell expands and throws
off the rest of the document. I tried going to table/table
properties/options/ and clearing the check box for automatic resize but it
still keeps expanding the cell. Every cell has a form field and I limited
the number of letters or numbers, I thought that might work but it didnt.
Any ideas would be great and thanks in advance.

CJinTexas
Stefan Blom

Form fields won't work unless you protect the document. However, they
do not have the ability the prevent users from typing the ENTER key.
Microsoft offers a set of macros to work around this. See the
following article (which was written for Word 97 but it could be worth
testing, anyway):

"WD97: How to Code the ENTER Key to Move to Next Field in Protected
Form"

A different approach is to specify a fixed height for the table row
(or for all table rows, if necessary). Select the desired row(s), and
then choose TableTable Properties. Click the Row tab. Click "Specify
height", type a value and then make sure "Row height is" is set to
"Exactly". Although this won't prevent people from entering too much
text in the cells, the excess text won't be visible on screen and it
won't print, and therefore it won't affect the layout of your
document. If you combine a fixed row height with fixed line spacing
for the text used, it should work rather well.

For more about creating forms in Word, see:

"I'm designing a form that needs to have 'fill-in-the-blanks' lines.
What is the best way to create them?"
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm.

--
Stefan Blom

"CJinTexas" wrote in message
I have a form template created in MS Word 2003. The problem I am

faced
with is when the enter key is hit inside a cell, the cell expands

and throws
off the rest of the document. I tried going to table/table
properties/options/ and clearing the check box for automatic resize

but it
still keeps expanding the cell. Every cell has a form field and I

limited
the number of letters or numbers, I thought that might work but it

didnt.
Any ideas would be great and thanks in advance.

CJinTexas

Stefan Blom

If you are also having problems with cell widths changing, use the
Column tab of the Table Properties dialog box to specify a "Preferred
width".

--
Stefan Blom