rju166

Default Clicking and dragging column and row lines

Help me understand this behavior:

If I click and drag on a column line, it doesn't change anything else in the
table. It just moves the line.

If I click on a row line, it moves the rest of the table up or down along
with the line.

How can I make the row lines behave the like the column lines? I don't want
the rest of the table to move. I just want to move the line.

Second question: sometimes when I click and move a column line, it 'breaks'
and I end up with different size cells. What causes this?

Thanks

rju166

Thanks, that's informative, but it doesn't answer my questions.

How can I change row heights without changing the size of the table?

What makes column lines 'break?'

I'm trying to modify an Avery template for a sheet of mailing labels. I
want to split the cells and put our company logo/return address in the top
cells and pre-print them. But I would like to make the top cells smaller,
but I can't seem to do this without moving all the cells below, thereby
defeating the purpose of the template.

thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
For more on sizing rows and columns with the mouse, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm

so
all may benefit.

"rju166" wrote in message
Help me understand this behavior:

If I click and drag on a column line, it doesn't change anything else in

the
table. It just moves the line.

If I click on a row line, it moves the rest of the table up or down

along
with the line.

How can I make the row lines behave the like the column lines? I don't

want
the rest of the table to move. I just want to move the line.

Second question: sometimes when I click and move a column line, it

'breaks'
and I end up with different size cells. What causes this?

Thanks

I see what you mean. There doesn't seem to be any control over row sizing
such as there is over column sizing. But you can use the Table Properties
dialog to specify exact row heights. Note the height of the row to begin
with (before splitting), then make sure that the heights of the two split
rows total the same height.

FWIW, I think there may be a better way to do what you're attempting. Put
your logo and return address in the top portion of each label (using Top
alignment rather than the default Center). Save that as a document and use
it to preprint your labels. Then create a template in which the table
contents use a style with enough Space Before to clear the logo/return
address. Or add appropriate cell padding to each row. Use that to fill in
the label addresses.

"rju166" wrote in message
Thanks, that's informative, but it doesn't answer my questions.

How can I change row heights without changing the size of the table?

What makes column lines 'break?'

I'm trying to modify an Avery template for a sheet of mailing labels. I
want to split the cells and put our company logo/return address in the top
cells and pre-print them. But I would like to make the top cells smaller,
but I can't seem to do this without moving all the cells below, thereby
defeating the purpose of the template.

thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
For more on sizing rows and columns with the mouse, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"rju166" wrote in message
Help me understand this behavior:

If I click and drag on a column line, it doesn't change anything else

in
the
table. It just moves the line.

If I click on a row line, it moves the rest of the table up or down

along
with the line.

How can I make the row lines behave the like the column lines? I don't

want
the rest of the table to move. I just want to move the line.

Second question: sometimes when I click and move a column line, it

'breaks'
and I end up with different size cells. What causes this?

Thanks

rju166

Thanks. It's always good to know if you can't do something.

I wanted to use separate cells because hidden text doesn't work well with
visible text. The visible text prints where the hidden text was, even though
it looks correct on the screen. With separate cells, and hidden return text
in the top cells, my users will know where to put the delivery address, and
can optionally unhide the return addresses if the sheet happens to be blank.

This way they can use mailing labels one at a time from the bottom up, and
not have to bother with the envelopes and labels and the Avery templates
every time they want to print out a single label.