Alex Leibovici

Default Table headings and section breaks

Hi

A table spans several pages. For the purpose of printing the first
page on letterhead paper, I have to insert a section break after the
first (in fact the second, as I want to print duplex) page. However,
doing this, the table header stops repeating itself on the following
pages. Is there a solution?

Using Winword 2002.

TIA

Alex
Stefan Blom

The section break has split the table into two. Recreate the repeating
headers in the new table after the break.

--
Stefan Blom

"Alex Leibovici" alex.leibovici$AT$berufsbildung-srk.ch@ wrote in
message ...
Hi

A table spans several pages. For the purpose of printing the first
page on letterhead paper, I have to insert a section break after the
first (in fact the second, as I want to print duplex) page. However,
doing this, the table header stops repeating itself on the following
pages. Is there a solution?

Using Winword 2002.

TIA

Alex

You don't need a section break to print the first page on letterhead paper,
just to enable "Different first page" and format the First Page Header
accordingly. For more, see the section headed "Creating a header for
preprinted letterhead" at
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm.

"Alex Leibovici" alex.leibovici$AT$berufsbildung-srk.ch@ wrote in message
Hi

A table spans several pages. For the purpose of printing the first
page on letterhead paper, I have to insert a section break after the
first (in fact the second, as I want to print duplex) page. However,
doing this, the table header stops repeating itself on the following
pages. Is there a solution?

Using Winword 2002.

TIA

Alex

Alex Leibovici

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:03:25 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

You don't need a section break to print the first page on letterhead paper,
just to enable "Different first page" and format the First Page Header
accordingly. For more, see the section headed "Creating a header for
preprinted letterhead" at
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm.

Is it possible to adapt this for duplex printing? I mean, I have to
print the first *two* pages on the letterhead. It seems that when
enabling "Different first page", Word doesn't take into account that
*duplex* printing has been selected ! What I get is the page #1
printed on the letterhead, and pages #2 and 3 on plain paper.

TIA

Alex

Oooh, bummer! You can see the logic of that: "duplex" is telling the
printer, "Print page 2 on the back of the page 1 you just printed," but
selecting a different paper tray is telling Word, "Everything after page 1
comes from a different tray." The only way I can think of to get around this
(obviously not practical for large quantities or network printers--doable
only by people like me who have a desktop printer within arm's reach) is to
take all the paper from the same tray and just make up sets of one
letterhead sheet followed by one second sheet (which is what I do, using the
MP tray on my LaserJet for letterhead).

To look at it another way, though, it is not customary in normal business
practice to duplex letters, so Word's handling of this is not entirely
unreasonable.

wrote:

You don't need a section break to print the first page on letterhead

paper,
just to enable "Different first page" and format the First Page Header
accordingly. For more, see the section headed "Creating a header for
preprinted letterhead" at
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm.

Is it possible to adapt this for duplex printing? I mean, I have to
print the first *two* pages on the letterhead. It seems that when
enabling "Different first page", Word doesn't take into account that
*duplex* printing has been selected ! What I get is the page #1
printed on the letterhead, and pages #2 and 3 on plain paper.

TIA

Alex

Alex Leibovici

Thank you Susanne.

Concerning Word's handling of the "different first page" under duplex
printing: my document is not a letter, but a list of customers which,
when printed, has to have the company logo on the first page.

I still believe that Word should better correlate duplex printing with
other settings, such as tray selection, in order to provide a behavior
which is logical and consistent.

In my case, the unpleasant part was that changing trays needs a
section break, and a section break cuts the text flow between pages
(in my case it was a table, which is cut in two), which is bad when
one has to add/delete text afterwards.

Anyway, many thanks for your help

Alex

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:13:42 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Oooh, bummer! You can see the logic of that: "duplex" is telling the
printer, "Print page 2 on the back of the page 1 you just printed," but
selecting a different paper tray is telling Word, "Everything after page 1
comes from a different tray." The only way I can think of to get around this
(obviously not practical for large quantities or network printers--doable
only by people like me who have a desktop printer within arm's reach) is to
take all the paper from the same tray and just make up sets of one
letterhead sheet followed by one second sheet (which is what I do, using the
MP tray on my LaserJet for letterhead).

To look at it another way, though, it is not customary in normal business
practice to duplex letters, so Word's handling of this is not entirely
unreasonable.

To clarify: changing trays does *not* require a section break. You can set a
different tray for the first page on the Paper or Paper Source tab of Page
Setup. But you'll still get the behavior you complain of. Only a section
break will allow you to get around that.