Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Margaret Bartley[_2_] Margaret Bartley[_2_] is offline

Default Column width is stuck

I'm working with Word 2003.

Sometimes (not always) when I put a long hyperlink in a column, the column
expands to fit the entire hyperlink on one line, and then freezes the column
width to fit that line.

I cannot figure out how to change the column width back to the shorter
width.

I've tried selecting the entire table, and also tried just selectign the
column. I'll go to Table | Properties , uncheck the PreferredWidth box in
the Table tab, the Column tab, and the Cell tab, click OK, then open up
those same properties, and they will be the way they were before I unclicked
them, with the Preferred Width box checked, and some ungodly wide column
width filled in.

Even if I change the column width manually, and click OK, if I immediately
reopen the Table Properties dialog box, the original column width is still
there.

I even put the old Word97 TableFormatProperties menu option on my toolbar,
and it does the same thing.

I have been able to do wrap-around formatting for hyperlink addresses in the
past, but it seems to be random - I can't figure out what I'm doing when
Word allows the column to be resized, and when it doesn't

Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Make sure that you have "Autofit to contents" disabled (Table Properties |
Table | Options).

"Margaret Bartley" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I hi-lited words in one column to change font size-It's now stuck DIX Microsoft Word Help 0 June 29th 07 11:38 PM
change column width Karen Tables 1 October 5th 06 08:11 PM
Can not set column width by code Shaw Tables 1 December 17th 05 07:08 AM
column width versus cell width 2dogs Tables 12 October 12th 05 01:54 AM
Column Width propagation Cindy M -WordMVP- Tables 0 October 28th 04 06:09 PM