FAP

Default Individual cell widths in Word 2000 used with Win 98 SE

I'm learning how to create an on-line form in Word 2000. I found a very good
tutorial on the internet at:

http://www.pserie.psu.edu/compcntr/guides/wordforms.pdf

I've worked on the sample excercise, paying very close attention to the
instructions as they are very detailed.

I've created the table, added field names and form fields etc. Now it's
time to do some individual formatting.

Everything has gone well until I got to the part about resizing individual
table cells. Even though the instructions didn't say to do so, I saved the
table after completing letter "e" at the top of page 11 of the document or
page 14 of the adobe document. (There are three "slush" pages at the
beginning of the document.) My form looks exactly like the illustration
towards to top of the page.

The instructions seem to imply that you can change the width of an
individual cell in the table without affecting the entire column width.

I've figured out that if there is a row that has merged cells in it, any
unmerged cells above it will apply the width to just those cells. The
problem is I can't seem to adjust the width for just one cell. When I try to
adjust just the right edge of a cell that's in the middle of three rows,
cells in all the three rows have the same adjusted width.

The illustration at the bottom of the page shows the middle row (Company
Name) as being expanded, while the same colum above and below it remain
unchanged.

How do I adjust the individual cell width without affecting other cells? I
can see that this is a very useful feature that would distinguish Word from
Excel when you create a form.

I hope this isn't too convoluted a question, but I wanted to give as much
background as possible.

I sincerely thank you for any help as this is driving me nuts.....

Fred

FAP

Thank you for your reply. The instructions I refered to said the same thing
you did. I did click within the cell to select it. I can see the insertion
point where I clicked. I then put the curser over the right border and it
changes to the double sided arrow. Click and drag the border to the right
and it still moves the cell border above and below it as well

When I move the border, a dotted vertical line appears that shows where I'm
moving the border to. There are also some things that pop up in the ruler
when I select the table that I'm not very familiar with. I moved them all
off to the side but the same thing still happens.

How do I know if I've properly selected the cell? I don't know what else to
do but to click inside of it. It doesn't "highllight" like when you select a
cell in Excel.

I wonder if there's some sort of global setting that would affect this.......

This is very frustrating. It shouldn't be this hard to do.

Thanks again,

Fred

"FAP" wrote in message
[...]

FAP

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I did and it doesn't work. I
clicked within the cell and see the insertion point blinking. I move the
curser to the right border until it changes to the double sided arrow. I
click and drag to the right. As I do this a vertical dotted line appears,
showing where I'm moving the column to. This still moves the borders of all
three rows.

Could there be a global setting that would affect this? Also, there are
some things in the ruler that pop up when I select within the table. I move
them all off to either side but the same thing still happens.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

"FAP" wrote in message
[...]

You can also select by pointing to the cell from the left, the way you would
to select a line of ordinary text.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you select the cell first, you should be able to drag its column

boundary
independent of the other rows.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"FAP" wrote in message

[...]

how can you create quickwords in MS Office Word 2003 Christine S Microsoft Word Help 4 February 8th 05 03:01 PM
Table headers Sam Hobbs New Users 12 December 20th 04 07:18 PM
How do I select individual data records in Word 2000 Validity1 Mailmerge 1 December 10th 04 02:40 AM