Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
doonboggle doonboggle is offline

Default Creat table from internet cut-n-pasted html layout 'table'

I have copied (off of the internet) 55 pages of html (??) data that was
presented in a table format. In copying and then pasting into Word, the page
to page 'tables' do not line up in the columns. In addition, when pulling my
insertion mouse across the lines of these columns, they do not indicate any
of the Word table re-adjust marker; so they are not actually tables as we
know from using Word tables.

I have test tried to 'Convert' this internet 'table' into a workable Word
table; unsuccessfully. Have also tried by converting a section of the
'table', once selected rows were highlited, to text ... and then back to Word
table ... unsuccessfully.

How can I combine these 55 pages of internet 'tables' into a useful Word
table format so that I can sort, etc.? There are 14 columns ... and several
hundred rows.
Thank you.
--
doon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

When you show formatting symbols (click ¶), do you see row/cell markers or do
you see tabs? If you see the row cell markers, it is a table. Check that the
wrap is set to none (table options tab). Then check to see if you have
just one table. If fixing the wrap or joining the tables doesn't solve ythe
problem, or if it is a tab-based table, try pasting the whole thing into
Excel, cleaning it up there, and then moving it back to Word.

Or recopy it from the internet into Excel, which, in versions of Office
before 2007, was better at importing data into a table format than Word.
Depending on how the web page was coded, you may have to try insert file,
paste, and paste special to see which comes across best (best being displayed
in columns and rows like the original). Even if it comes across as all one
column, parsing it (text to columns) in Excel gives good results for simple
tables.

PamC

doonboggle wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
doonboggle doonboggle is offline

Sorry I could not be specific when I tried to describe what you used ...
symbols (click ¶). These were what I was looking for, and not being there
told me it was not yet a table. Right now it is 55 pages of various 'tables'
.... as they appear on the internet ... that do not line up in their
respective 14 columns; one 'table' to another.
--
doon

doonboggle wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

When the formatting symbols are being shown, do you see the tab symbols (†’)
and paragraph marks at the end of each line?

doonboggle wrote:
Sorry I could not be specific when I tried to describe what you used ...
symbols (click ¶). These were what I was looking for, and not being there
told me it was not yet a table. Right now it is 55 pages of various 'tables'
... as they appear on the internet ... that do not line up in their
respective 14 columns; one 'table' to another.
When you show formatting symbols (click ¶), do you see row/cell markers or do
you see tabs? If you see the row cell markers, it is a table. Check that the

[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]
hundred rows.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
doonboggle doonboggle is offline

UPDATE....

After playing with it most of today, am now able to finally see the marks
you mentioned; indicating that at least I now have a 'table' on my hands.
But am having lots of trouble getting the many cells, columns to come
together as one. Was able to use the Automat format option and seems to have
success. Then converted it all to Word text format so that could import into
Excel as you suggest., and it looks terrific.
Now want to redo this process so that it is in Word format. Looked up
'Help' for this, and the instructions don''t seem to work for me ...
particularly with the 'Copy and paste' instructions.
Of course am open for other suggestions. Excel is not familiar to me.
I tried the 'sort' in the Word version earlier, and it locks up my
computer's response to the Word process. Have to close out the working copy
I have, and restart. Did so about 3 times, and then started trying the Excel
process.
--
doon

doonboggle wrote:
Sorry I could not be specific when I tried to describe what you used ...
symbols (click ¶). These were what I was looking for, and not being there
told me it was not yet a table. Right now it is 55 pages of various 'tables'
... as they appear on the internet ... that do not line up in their
respective 14 columns; one 'table' to another.
When you show formatting symbols (click ¶), do you see row/cell markers or do
you see tabs? If you see the row cell markers, it is a table. Check that the

[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]
hundred rows.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm glad things are working out for you. I only have Office 2007 available
to me right now, so please contact the Excel group for questions about
sorting in Excel.

When you are ready to put the table back into Word do this:

In Excel, highlight all the columns and rows you want to copy. Then press
Ctrl+c

In Word, place the cursor where you want the table to appear. Press Ctrl+v.

This will produce a regular Word table.

HTH,
PamC

doonboggle wrote:
[...]