Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Weisir Weisir is offline

Default Indentation - exept the first paragraph

I use indentation for the first line in paragraphs, but I want the very first
paragraph in each section to NOT be indented. So: After any heading I would
NOT want indentation, but every following paragraph should be indented (first
line). Is there any way make word do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

You can do this with two paragraph styles.
FirstParaStyle would have no indent.
SecondParaStyle would have the indent.
When creating (or modifying your existing style) these styles you can have
the SecondParaStyle to be based on FirstParaStyle and only add the indent.
This style can be created quickly by New Style dialog box and have the "Style
Based on" FirstParaStyle.
Modify the FirstParaStyle to have SecondParaStyle as the "Style for
following paragraph", so when you finish typing FirstParaStyle text and press
return the next paragraph will automatically have SecondParaStyle applied.
I would have the SecondParaStyle to follow itself.
You can also modify the Header style to have FirstParaStyle as the follow on
style.
Clear as mud, eh? :-)
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Weisir" wrote:

I use indentation for the first line in paragraphs, but I want the very first
paragraph in each section to NOT be indented. So: After any heading I would
NOT want indentation, but every following paragraph should be indented (first
line). Is there any way make word do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Forgot to say that you could also apply a keyboard shortcut to the ParaStyles
to enable quick application of the styles on any existing text.
Also, beware if you have applied any manual formatting, you may need to
clear this formatting to have the new style to appear, as manual formatting
overrides the based style format. This can be done by selecting the
appropriate paragraphs/text and pressing Ctrl+Spacebar.

F4 - Repeat function. You can use this shortcut to apply the styles quickly,
also to clear the manual formatting, as well as many other functions. Have a
play with it, it is very useful.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"Weisir" wrote:

I use indentation for the first line in paragraphs, but I want the very first
paragraph in each section to NOT be indented. So: After any heading I would
NOT want indentation, but every following paragraph should be indented (first
line). Is there any way make word do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For each heading style, change the "Style for following paragraph" to Body
Text. Modify Body Text to have Body Text First Indent as its following
style. Modify the Body Text and Body Text First Indent styles to have the
other properties you want (including, probably, a larger first-line indent
in Body Text First Indent).

http://word.mvps.org

"Weisir" wrote in message
I use indentation for the first line in paragraphs, but I want the very
first
paragraph in each section to NOT be indented. So: After any heading I
would
NOT want indentation, but every following paragraph should be indented
(first
line). Is there any way make word do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But if anything having to do with typing Chinese is enabled on your
computer, Ctrl-Spacebar sends Windows into Chinese-typing mode (or
font), so you should generally use Ctrl-Shift-Z for clearing manual
formatting.