Mikey

Default Aligning text in tables

Hi folks,

I have a nice looking, formatted table, with one problem. Most of the
cells contain numbers and sometimes a symbol or a wingding (like an arrow).
The entire table is formatted to be centered vertically and horizontally.
However, the cells with both a number and a symbol/webding don't align with
the other cells with just numbers. It's actually very messy looking. I've
tried adjusting the row sizes to be equal, it didn't work.

The wingdings and symbols begin to look like subscripts and superscripts,
but I need them to aling with the numbers vertically. Any thoughts?

Charles Kenyon

Consider setting a decimal tab in your tables instead of centering
horizontally.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Mikey" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I have a nice looking, formatted table, with one problem. Most of the
cells contain numbers and sometimes a symbol or a wingding (like an
arrow).
The entire table is formatted to be centered vertically and horizontally.
However, the cells with both a number and a symbol/webding don't align
with
the other cells with just numbers. It's actually very messy looking.
I've
tried adjusting the row sizes to be equal, it didn't work.

The wingdings and symbols begin to look like subscripts and superscripts,
but I need them to aling with the numbers vertically. Any thoughts?

Mikey

I'll experinment with that, however I'm not sure how that will help. The
horizontal alignment doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the combination of
a regular text for the numbers (times new roman, font 10pt) and various
symbols such as wingdings or WS MathExtendedA (of varying fonts). For some
reason the combination changes the alignment of the regular number, and it
the center of the vertical center of the regular number is not at the same
place as the vertical center of the symbol.

However, I will try your suggestion to see what happens. Thank you.

"Mikey" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I have a nice looking, formatted table, with one problem. Most of the
cells contain numbers and sometimes a symbol or a wingding (like an
arrow).
The entire table is formatted to be centered vertically and horizontally.
However, the cells with both a number and a symbol/webding don't align
with
the other cells with just numbers. It's actually very messy looking.
I've
tried adjusting the row sizes to be equal, it didn't work.

The wingdings and symbols begin to look like subscripts and superscripts,
but I need them to aling with the numbers vertically. Any thoughts?

Charles Kenyon

My suggestion won't help with vertical alignment. Sorry.

Only thing I can think of is experimenting with a different font size for
your symbols. I suspect Suzanne Barnhill would know. She may stop by later.
--

"Mikey" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I have a nice looking, formatted table, with one problem. Most of
the
cells contain numbers and sometimes a symbol or a wingding (like an
arrow).
The entire table is formatted to be centered vertically and
horizontally.
However, the cells with both a number and a symbol/webding don't align
with
the other cells with just numbers. It's actually very messy looking.
I've
tried adjusting the row sizes to be equal, it didn't work.

The wingdings and symbols begin to look like subscripts and
superscripts,
but I need them to aling with the numbers vertically. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I'm here, though I'm not sure how helpful I can be. I think I can
visualize what's happening, though: the different font characters (which may
be the same nominal point size but a different x-height) are being centered
on the text baseline rather than the midpoint. And some Wingdings characters
(such as the happy/sad faces) are sort of vertically centered already (don't
have the same baseline as alphanumeric text). If the font character seems to
be riding high or low, you can use Format | Font | Character Spacing to
raise or lower it. Or you could set the line height to an Exact amount that
would accommodate the largest characters; by default, Word (recent versions,
anyway) centers lines with exact line height.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Mikey" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I have a nice looking, formatted table, with one problem. Most of
the
cells contain numbers and sometimes a symbol or a wingding (like an
arrow).
The entire table is formatted to be centered vertically and
horizontally.
However, the cells with both a number and a symbol/webding don't

align
with
the other cells with just numbers. It's actually very messy looking.
I've
tried adjusting the row sizes to be equal, it didn't work.

The wingdings and symbols begin to look like subscripts and
superscripts,
but I need them to aling with the numbers vertically. Any thoughts?

Pleadings - Line Numbering aligning with text GregBausman Page Layout 3 April 25th 05 05:10 AM
text boxes: tabbing and tables Cynthia Microsoft Word Help 3 January 15th 05 03:12 PM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 5th 05 11:23 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Referencing Text fields in tables BigWylie1 Tables 0 October 26th 04 08:17 PM