Michael Blogg

Default Design Mode

Hello

I am having a problem with a document that has been created. Inside the
document there are several VB textboxes that just contain basic text.
However everytime you open up the document the design mode is always active.
Is there anyway of disabling it so it doesnt appear in design moder
everytime you open the document.

I have even tried exiting design mode, saving then exiting. However that
doesnt seem to work.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time in advance,

Jay Freedman

Hi Michael,

Design Mode appears because (a) you used text boxes from the Control
Toolbox, which are ActiveX controls that are considered to be in the same
threat class as macro viruses, and (b) you have your macro security level
set to High, or it's set to Medium and you're clicking the Disable button.

The alternatives a

- Don't use anything from the Control Toolbox. Instead, you can use form
fields in a protected form
(http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22) or a userform
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm).

- Set the security level to Medium and click the Enable button each time you
open the document. (Don't set it to Low unless you like dealing with
viruses.)

- Digitally sign the document, and choose to trust the certificate when
asked. (I haven't tried this myself, so I can't say how easy it is.) If the
document is only for your own use, you can create a certificate with the
program SelfCert.exe. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a certificate or use
your company's certificate authority if one exists.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman