Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
steve goodrich

Default help with mailmerge please

I've been using the mailmerge feature in microsoft word 97 for years,
merging with a query in Microsoft access 97. this has worked great for
years.
My company has just upgraded to Microsoft office 2003 standard. so I've now
got Word 2003 and Access 97. When I ask mailmerge to find the data, I
navigate to the access 97 query as before, but the results show no
recipients.
I've found a workround by copying the access 97 query into an excel
spreadsheet and using that as the data source but it's not ideal.
Why can't I use the access 97 query as the data source as before, or am I
missing something.
thanks for any advice
regards
Steve Goodrich

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Word 2003 uses a different means of connection to the data - see the Excel
data section of http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm
(Excel and Access have the same issue) to use the earlier connection method.
That link will also help with the mechanics of mail merge with Office 2003.

steve goodrich wrote:
I've been using the mailmerge feature in microsoft word 97 for years,
merging with a query in Microsoft access 97. this has worked great for
years.
My company has just upgraded to Microsoft office 2003 standard. so
I've now got Word 2003 and Access 97. When I ask mailmerge to find
the data, I navigate to the access 97 query as before, but the
results show no recipients.
I've found a workround by copying the access 97 query into an excel
spreadsheet and using that as the data source but it's not ideal.
Why can't I use the access 97 query as the data source as before, or
am I missing something.
thanks for any advice
regards
Steve Goodrich

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the item "Confirm conversions at open". After
doing that, when you attach the data source to the mail merge main document,
you will see a dialog asking you for the method by which the connection to
the data source should be made. The DDE option will probably be the one
that you need.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.