karMina@office

Default Table of contents problem

Hello,
I have a 175 pages document with a table of content. When I click in
the table of content the link opens IE6 and takes me to our internet
web site instead of linking me to the page number in the document.
I've tried to regenerate the table several times but it still links to
the internet. How do I fix this please so it opens the page number in
the document? I'm using Word 2000 with Windows 2000. Thanks.

karMina@office

Well, it's a document I received from someone else who made that Table
of contents and she used styles in the document. So in the Menu bar, I
click on insert and scroll down to Index and Tables. I chose Table of
contents Tab, click the options button, I check "Build Table of
contents from: Styles - I chose TOC level - Heading 1... 2...3...4...
click on OK, click OK again and I get the MSWord message: "Do you want
to replace the selected TOC?" I click OK and Word regenerate the TOC.
Now when I click on any line in my TOC, it opens IE6 and takes me to
our internet website instead of taking me to the parag. in my
document. I don't understant what's happening here? Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Stefan Blom wrote:
How exactly did you generate the table of contents?

"karMina@office" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a 175 pages document with a table of content. When I click

in
the table of content the link opens IE6 and takes me to our

internet
web site instead of linking me to the page number in the document.
I've tried to regenerate the table several times but it still links
to the internet. How do I fix this please so it opens the page
number in the document? I'm using Word 2000 with Windows 2000.
Thanks.

Stefan Blom

All I can think of is that the document is divided into frames
(similar to how web pages can be designed); if it is, each frame
actually references a separate document. These separate documents
might be located elsewhere than on your local hard disk; if they are,
that would explain why Internet Explorer is opened as you click on a
link.

--

Stefan Blom wrote:
How exactly did you generate the table of contents?

"karMina@office" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a 175 pages document with a table of content. When I click

in
the table of content the link opens IE6 and takes me to our

internet
web site instead of linking me to the page number in the

document.
I've tried to regenerate the table several times but it still

links
to the internet. How do I fix this please so it opens the page
number in the document? I'm using Word 2000 with Windows 2000.
Thanks.

Stefan Blom

I mean divided into separately scrollable frames just like web pages
might be. For web sites, each of the frames "contains" a separate HTML
file. In Word, the frames can contain Word documents. If you are not
familiar with this concept, it's probably not the cause of your TOC
trouble. But, if you want to check this just in case, click Frames on
the Format menu; Word displays a submenu. Is there menu items such as
"Delete Frame" and "Frame Properties" on the submenu? If there is,
then you have a frame document. However, Shauna Kelly's suggestions on
the "Table of content" thread in microsoft.public.word.newusers are
probably more relevant here.