fiona

Default Text disappears in printing and print preview

I have had a brief look in other posts and can't find the answer. I have a
(very small) table on the front page of a document. These are controlled
documents and this table contains people's names and signatures to verify
that the doc has been updated and checked and accepted etc.

My problem is - the text in the table will not print. When I print it, I
get the first little bit of the first row, then it stops. When I viewed it
in page lay out view, the table appeared complete and filled in. When I
checked it in print preview the table appeared, but it was missing the text.
I have checked the cells, they are set to no fill, so it is not an accidental
white out, the font is set to black.

Some history of the document: It was originally an excel file and I
converted it to word because it needs to be updated all the time and it is a
hassle in excel to do that. The quick fix is just to delete it and re-create
it (it is four lines long) but I'm curious as to what could be causing the
problem. Word version is 2000 or 2003.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fiona

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ZmlvbmE=?=,

Have you checked whether the font in the tables has been formatted as "hidden"?
If the "hidden" attribute is activated, but the VIEW is set to display hidden
characters, you could get the behavior you describe.

If that's not it, then you might try selecting the table, running Table/Convert
Table to Text (to remove the table structures), then immediately Table/Convert
Text to table.

I have had a brief look in other posts and can't find the answer. I have a
(very small) table on the front page of a document. These are controlled
documents and this table contains people's names and signatures to verify
that the doc has been updated and checked and accepted etc.

My problem is - the text in the table will not print. When I print it, I
get the first little bit of the first row, then it stops. When I viewed it
in page lay out view, the table appeared complete and filled in. When I
checked it in print preview the table appeared, but it was missing the text.
I have checked the cells, they are set to no fill, so it is not an accidental
white out, the font is set to black.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

fiona

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for this advice. I'll check it out. I gave up out of frustration and
just re-wrote the whole table. Before doing this, I tried your suggestion of
Table to text followed by text to Table and found that when it was in text
mode it still wouldn't print - so maybe you're right and it was hidden. I'll
have a look at the settings and make sure.

Thanks again.