bonsai-dragon

Default sequence numbers with tables

I have a page in word containing a table of 2 columns and 6 rows - 12 tickets
per page.
I have to print 12000 of these tickets - the client wants them sequenced
numbered, the printer wants them sequenced numbered so that when each stack
is printed the numbers are in order going down.
Example: Ticket one top to bottom would be 1 - 12000; Ticket Two top to
bottom would be 12001 - 24000, etc.
I know there is a way of doing this but for the life of me I can not remember.

Doug Robbins

Use a label mailmerge with a data source containing two fields one for the 1
to 12000 and the other for the 12001 to 24000
Put the first field on the first label and the second on the second. Repeat
this for each row of labels on the sheet and place a Next Record field
before the first mergefield in the first cell in rows 2 thru 6

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"bonsai-dragon" wrote in message
I have a page in word containing a table of 2 columns and 6 rows - 12
tickets
per page.
I have to print 12000 of these tickets - the client wants them sequenced
numbered, the printer wants them sequenced numbered so that when each
stack
is printed the numbers are in order going down.
Example: Ticket one top to bottom would be 1 - 12000; Ticket Two top to
bottom would be 12001 - 24000, etc.
I know there is a way of doing this but for the life of me I can not
remember.

bonsai-dragon

Thank you for your help Doug - in a normal situtation that would work but I
might not have explained the situation just right...
There are 12 tickets on this page and each ticket has to have a sequence
number. Say I print lots of 100 - ticket one would be 1-100; ticket two would
be 101-200; ticket three would be 201-300; ticket four would be 301-400;
ticket four would be 401-500; ticket five would be 501-600; etc. to ticket
twelve would be 1101-1200. This would be 100 sheet of paper with a setup of
twelve tickets on each page. Page one tickets would read: 1, 101, 201, 301,
401, 501, 601, 701, 801, 901,1001,1101 and page two would read 2, 102, 202,
302, 402, 502, 602, 702, 802, 902,1002,1102, etc.
The numbers must in "sequence order going down" so that when they are cut
they will be order in bundles of 100 - therein lays the problem.
There is a formula or code that you can place on each ticket allowing you to
sequence down I just can not remember it.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

[...]

Doug Robbins

If you start with a document containing a table with 6 rows and 2 columns of
the required dimensions, and you run the following macro, it should do what
you want:

Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, n As Long, acell As Cell
i = 1
For n = 1 To 100
i = n
For j = 1 To 6
For k = 1 To 2
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(j, k).Range.InsertBefore i
i = i + 100
Next k
Next j
ActiveDocument.PrintOut
For k = 1 To 2
For Each acell In ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(k).Cells
acell.Range.Delete
Next
Next k
Next n

Having just figured that out, I now realise that you probably want more than
just the number on each ticket but that is all that the above would allow
you to do.

The following will allow you to have more than the number on each ticket and
also control where on the ticket it appears

To do it, at the place on each ticket, insert a Docvariable field with the
fields being of the form

{ DOCVARIABLE "Stack1" } {DOCVARIABLE "Stack2" }
{ DOCVARIABLE "Stack3" } {DOCVARIABLE "Stack4" }
{ DOCVARIABLE "Stack5" } {DOCVARIABLE "Stack6" }
{ DOCVARIABLE "Stack7" } {DOCVARIABLE "Stack8" }
{ DOCVARIABLE "Stack9" } {DOCVARIABLE "Stack10" }
{ DOCVARIABLE "Stack11" } {DOCVARIABLE "Stack12" }

Use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of Field Delimiters { } and Alt+F9 to toggle
off the display of the field codes.

Then, run the following macro:

Dim n As Long
For n = 1 To 100
With ActiveDocument
.Variables("Stack1").Value = n
.Variables("Stack2").Value = n + 100
.Variables("Stack3").Value = n + 200
.Variables("Stack4").Value = n + 300
.Variables("Stack5").Value = n + 400
.Variables("Stack6").Value = n + 500
.Variables("Stack7").Value = n + 600
.Variables("Stack8").Value = n + 700
.Variables("Stack9").Value = n + 800
.Variables("Stack10").Value = n + 900
.Variables("Stack11").Value = n + 1000
.Variables("Stack12").Value = n + 1100
.Fields.Update
.PrintOut
End With
Next n

If you want to change to order in which they are printed out so that the
sheet containing ticket number 1 is on the top of the pile,
change the line

For n = 1 to 100

For n = 100 to 1 Step - 1

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Use a label mailmerge with a data source containing two fields one for
the 1
to 12000 and the other for the 12001 to 24000
Put the first field on the first label and the second on the second.
Repeat
this for each row of labels on the sheet and place a Next Record
field
before the first mergefield in the first cell in rows 2 thru 6

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a
paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP