Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Default Row won't break over pages

I'm using WD2003, and I've spent a while reading many of the Word Table forum
Q&A and Suzanne Barnhill's articles on page breaking, but I have a table that
does not seem to believe her. Please would someone suggest another area to
look at?

It started as a form with a table split into five 3-column rows for
Objectives, Dates, and the Achievements of those objectives. If you put an
entry into an Achievement cell that is long enough to deepen the row to just
over the available height on the page, the row suddenly bounces to a new page
leaving previous rows behind. If you really pile on the text it stays on that
new page and the extra text disappears into the page gap. Removing text
doesn't put it back until it's nearly all erased.

You can see all text in Normal View, but not in Print Layout View.

Table Properties Table Wrapping = None;
Table Properties Row Allow row to break checked, Specify height not
checked;
Paragraph format Line & Page Breaks only Widow/Orphan checked;
File Type = Word document (not WD97 etc, I've been caught like that before!).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you also check the settings for Spacing Before/After (Format | Paragraph)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jonathan589" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Thanks for your swift reply. No I hadn't but I have now. Paragraph spacing
before/after is headings 3pt/0pt and body text 0pt/0pt, line spacing Single.
No heading styles, just an emboldened title in the cell. Nothing looks odd to
me, but that may be the problem!

"Jonathan589" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure that the table is not inside a frame or text box. Also, you may
want to try converting the table to text and back, and see if that makes a
difference. If the above does not help, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/corruptdoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jonathan589" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure that the table is not inside a frame or text box.

Correction: Since an entire row can move to the following page, this cannot
be the case. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jonathan589" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Thank you for trying Stefan. One of the points I had tested for was the frame
idea. If I convert table to text it works fine, but converting back to
three-column table is a bit messy so I haven't tried it yet. I started a new
table to see and it works fine, so I can only guess it's something to do with
a section break hidden in a paragraph-return somewhere. If I crack it I will
post an addendum to this.

"Jonathan589" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Thank you for the feedback. It certainly seems as if the table is damaged.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP