Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Trish Trish is offline

Default Word 2003

Hi, I wish to shade random cells. I successfuly use the format paintbrush
to copy the format of headings etc, but the shading never copies across. Is
there a simple secret to this? Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

If a table element, cell, row col is cut/copied, insert, pasted or moved then
the border and shading elements follow the action.

If you are creating a table with structured shading, e.g. every other row,
or every other col, then it is easy to create this effect. create the 1st
row, then insert new rows as many times as needed.

You state that you want to shade random cells
Shade the first cell, move to your next cell, press F4 Repeat the last
action. This should shade the target cell continue until done, or exhausted
--
Tom Conrad

"Trish" wrote:

Hi, I wish to shade random cells. I successfuly use the format paintbrush
to copy the format of headings etc, but the shading never copies across. Is
there a simple secret to this? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Trish Trish is offline

Thanks Tom - your advice was helpful to me in general terms, but has not
resolved my immediate problem. I already had the table, with just some
borders and no shading. I then decided to shade some of the heading cells,
and used 5%. I then selected that cell, used the format paintbrush and
tried to copy the formatting to other random heading cells - the actual
format copies okay, but the shading does not follow. I have had this
dilemma for some time (a couple of years at least) but have always needed to
get the document out quickly, so have done it manually. I felt sure there
had to be another way. Any other suggestions? Many thanks.

"Trish" wrote:

Hi, I wish to shade random cells. I successfuly use the format paintbrush
to copy the format of headings etc, but the shading never copies across. Is
there a simple secret to this? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Luc[_2_] Luc[_2_] is offline

Thrish,
Unfortunately there is no tool to copy cell shading. You can only do it
manually and use the F4 key to repeat at will, or make a macro. Here is an
earlier thread in which Jay Freedman gives an example of the code to achieve
what you are after:
http://groups.google.be/group/micros...4934ab 97bfaf

--
Luc Sanders